correct position of 82 300sd idler arm

I have an 82 MB 300sd and it got whacked on the left wheel at about

5-10 mph when the wheel was turned to the left. Afterward the steering wheel wasn't straight when driving straight but was turned about 30 degrees. All the linkage seems tight and the idler arm looks pretty new and firm still. All that stuff was replaced before I bought it and before the whack.

The case for the idler arm it right up against some chassis support looking kind of thing that is kind of flat and 3 inches in diameter on the bottom. This support thing is just to the right of the idler arm. Should the idler arm case be right up against this or where exactly?

I had already got a front end alignment and the guy re-adjusted other things to make the steering wheel center again but I'm wandering if this idler arm case it not in the correct position.

I also have too much slop in the steering but that didn't change with the wreck. It seems like most of the slop is in the steering box. The idler arm doesn't move much when I have my wife move the steering wheel back and forth. I have a very slow power steering leak but not sure where. It seems like the steering slop got slightly worse after I added a small amount of power steering leak stop liquid.

thanks if you can educate me, George

Reply to
gbugh

Free play in the steering should be about .875 inch of steering wheel movement. There are several possible causes of excess free play.

There's a coupling in the steering shaft (above the steering box) that ought to be checked for wear.

The idler arm (right center) bushings may be worn allowing the arm to lift instead of transmitting the steering effort to the right wheel.

The pitman arm (attached to the steering box) should be absolutely tight to the steering shaft.

Last is the steering box itself. It has a friction adjustment on its top (metric allen socket secured by a 19mm lock nut). Be very conservative about making any adjustments to the steering box - that means adjust NO MORE than 1/4 turn for otherwise there's a significant risk the box will bind up at some inopportune time. Then drive the car for say 10K miles to allow the gears to re-mesh before making another adjustment. Steering friction is increased by turning the allen bolt 1/4 turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE (out) and tightening the 19mm lock nut to 5 ft lbs.

I can't advise you about the idler arm support bracket. My '80 (116 chassis) has a tube welded onto its body in which the idler arm bushings turn.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thank you very much. I will check these things.

Reply to
gbugh