Costs of Maintaning/Repairing an Older Mercedes?

Can anyone give me a gerneral idea on of owning an older Mercedes? Let's assume the car is a sedan that has between 100k and 120k miles and is between 8 and 15 years old. What will be the general costs? What would be the worst case expense? Would it be $2000? $5000? How many miles can a Mercedes expect to be driven and what are the costs? I'm just looking for a general rule of thumb for these cars.

Here's a real example:

1989 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 300E, 100,000 miles, price $4,000

Intention is to drive it 5,000 miles per year for the next 5 to 10 years. What are the costs or possible worst case costs?

Reply to
rk73737

I have driven a 1987 300E for 6.5 years, putting 21,000 miles on it. Maintenance has averaged $923 per year (or a few monthly payments on a new Honda). Although the car I bought with 187,000 miles on it had a recent transmission, radiator, air conditioning compressor and blower replacement; I have since replaced water pump (froze and burnt belt), tires, forward muffler, brakes, speedometer, valve stem seals, injectors and several air conditioning troubleshooting and recharge services. Getting it to pass California smog requires a week or so in the shop every two years.

I planned on budgeting $1,500 a year for maintenance when I took on an older Mercedes, and have averaged about 2/3 of that. With the air conditioning operating flawlessly for two seasons now and the valve seals eliminating frequent spark plug changes, my maintenance costs should be less now.

My maintenance has been rather high, but if you drive an older Mercedes for a number of years, the maintenance averages out less than the depreciation on a new car . . . and you are riding with style! You only live once . . .

Reply to
Pete Cowper

We went though this with you just two weeks ago - did you already forget?

Folks, don't waste your time, this subject was covered on Oct 3.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Glad I seen your post TG

cp

Reply to
cp

Covered or not, the E wasn't built to the same standard as the S IMHO.

Reply to
marlinspike

What do you mean? Is an S class more durable than an E class of the same year? Is an S class cheaper in maintenance? I always thought it would be the other way around.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Maybe or maybe not cheaper in maintenance, but the quality of the materials and the fit and finish was better. Doesn't apply to 1992 and later. After 1992 they are all crap no matter which model.

Reply to
marlinspike