Country Stickers: Where To Get Them?

Page 1 of 2
You know those oval, white stickers that have one- to three-letter abbreviations for countries on them? D for Germany, S for Sweden, and all that? Where do
people get them? Is there an online source?
Geoff
--
"We Meldrick. Resissance is futile, yo. Y'all bess
juss 'pare t'be assimilated." -- Jim Hill

You can try here: http://www.europeanplates.com /
John M. Looking for a front plate to fit my '94 E320
That company can't actually make 'real' German plates because they can't apply the official stamps to the plates...
I presume that Geoff M is in the USA otherwise any motorists' supply shop will stock their own country's. If such stickers are required when crossing a North American border then any relevant Candian or US shop will (ought to!) stock CA or US stickers respectively.
DAS
"John Mauel" < snipped-for-privacy@SPAMtelusplanet.net> wrote in message

Yes, I'm in the USA -- California, to be exact. The stickers aren't required here. I see an occasional car that has one, but I've never seen them for sale in auto supply shops. I'd always assumed that people here obtained them during trips to Europe.
I'd like to get a "DDR" one and put it on my 300SDL.
Geoff
--
"They shouldn't get any new nuclear weapons until
they've used the ones they've got." -- Murff

Pretty much any literate person who lived through the Cold War, I'd think. Contrary to popular belief abroad, many of us _are_ aware of matters beyond our borders.

No, it's a straightforward reference to the former country. For one thing it would cause people to do a doubletake, just because of the rarity. I've only ever seen one "DDR" sticker, on the back of a big Ford 4WD pickup truck of all things.
And for another, the idea of a "DDR" oval on a long-wheelbase W126 is endearingly perverse. A Trabant it ain't.
(The first time I saw a reference to DDR RAM, in a newspaper adver- tisement for a local electronics store, I thought to myself that the computer had East German memory.)
Geoff
--
"So next time you're with some progressive friends, dissent.
Tell 'em you're not sold on this global warming stuff.
"Geoff Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net> wrote in message
news:e66npj$ snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net...
Geoff Miller wrote:

No thoughts of buying a Trabant and seeing what diktat will do for the car industry? One used to see the poor things farting along at 50 mph on the Autobahn, unwashed, half fractured, and all with their wee DDR signs on the back.
I have a few DDR stickers at home I bought 20 years ago, but home's on the other side of the world. My ex put one on her 250D. You can buy them readily from some memorabilia shops in Berlin, which isn't much help to you either, but I will be in Germany next month and I shall keep an eye out if you like.
By and large, the countries near the borders with Switzerland and the Eastern European countries used to stock the stickers as it was a requirement of entry. Since the new European numberplates and the entry of the Soviet satellite countries, they have become rather superfluous in central/Western Europe - apart from GB, of course.
Peter
Don't geddit. It is only compulsory to have a country sticker if the country is not already shown in an authorised way. EU plates show the country in a blue band at left.
In the UK the standard EU plate is an option. I have it, so I don't need an additional GB sticker when going abroad.
Cars with old plates do not need to retrofitted (but would need a country sticker when crossing a border).
I don't know in which countries the EU standard plate is mandatory. In Eire I think it is, for example.
DAS
"Peter Brown" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

EU plates are only a recommendation, each country can decide itself whether to have them or not and if they then are mandatory or a choice.
Here in Germany until 14.01.1995 we had national plates only.

EU plates are mandatory for all new vehicles and also if the old plates have to be replaced (re-location of car, plates stolen).
According to http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro-Kennzeichen these countries do have the EU plates:
Austria Belgium Croatia (no EU member) Cyprus Czech Republic Estonia Finland (option) France (option) Germany Greece Hungary Ireland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxemburg Malta Netherlands Poland Portugal Slovakia Slowenia Sweden (option) UK (option)
Some information also here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_vehicle_registration_plates
Juergen
You're not disagreeing with me! In fact, you are confirming my comment and providing extra info. My point is that it depends on the country whether on new plates the EU-style is mandatory. It isn't in the UK, for example, and you confirmed that with the Wikipedia extract (even though I treat Wikipedia information as only preliminary).
(I have the new style on my newer car for two reasons, one being that I don't want a large sticker anywhere on the back.)
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with you - should you have had the impression it is my fault.

Yes, exactly. And I wondered it was left to the individual countries and not regulated further by the European Parliament in Brussels.

I also have a non-EU plate on the 240D and have a D oval on a magnetic folio so I can attach it to the trunk when I need it (I don't need that anymore, for going abroad I use other cars).
Juergen
On my 190 the country sticker is in an upper corner of the (rear) window. I think that turns out to be 'illegal' as it is not near the number plate.
Don't care. Nobody commented when I did go abroad in it and now I go in my other car, e.g. tomorrow, to Rouen.
Such a relatively short distance as the crow flies, but such a long way via the shuttle... :-(
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
Checked out the links. In the first Wikipedia link there is the implication is that the EU country designation is not valid outside the EU, e.g. in Romania.
I wonder if this is enforced, especially among the candidate countries like Romania.
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Yes, that's what I also have read from other sources.

In general, I don't think so. But maybe if a local police officer wants some baksheesh...
Juergen
: I'd like to get a "DDR" one and put it on my 300SDL.

I'd like to have a Trabant. Not as serious transportation, but just for fun and novelty's sake. Unfortunately, they aren't street-legal in the USA, to put it mildly. (I'm something of a Cold War buff, I suppose. I love John Le Carre novels and have a "Fallout Shelter" sign on my living room wall.)

Sure, that'd be great. If you find one or two, I can reimburse you with a postal money order. Thanks for offering.

I didn't realize until fairly recently that they were required. I had the impression that they were simply low-key expressions of national- istic pride, like the way some Americans have flag decals on their cars or pleasure craft have the names of their homeports on their transoms.
Geoff
--
"So next time you're with some progressive friends, dissent.
Tell 'em you're not sold on this global warming stuff.
Probably not allowed on emission grounds. They only got a special exemption in (western) Germany for political reasons as they exceeded permitted pollution levels already in 1989.
DAS
"Peter Brown" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

DDR is for East Germany, why would you want to put up that?
cp
: I'd like to get a "DDR" one and put it on my 300SDL.

Because I'm weird.
Geoff
--
"The East German Stasi are now all cab drivers. You tell them
your name, they know where you live." -- Julian Macassey

Now THAT is a classic!
cp