Country Stickers: Where To Get Them?

You know those oval, white stickers that have one- to three-letter abbreviations for countries on them? D for Germany, S for Sweden, and all that? Where do people get them? Is there an online source?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

You can try here:

John M. Looking for a front plate to fit my '94 E320

Reply to
John Mauel

That company can't actually make 'real' German plates because they can't apply the official stamps to the plates...

I presume that Geoff M is in the USA otherwise any motorists' supply shop will stock their own country's. If such stickers are required when crossing a North American border then any relevant Candian or US shop will (ought to!) stock CA or US stickers respectively.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

BTW, those country stickers shown on that website:

are a rare embellished type. Normally there are no flags on them and the country name is NOT written out.

But they look nice.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yes, I'm in the USA -- California, to be exact. The stickers aren't required here. I see an occasional car that has one, but I've never seen them for sale in auto supply shops. I'd always assumed that people here obtained them during trips to Europe.

I'd like to get a "DDR" one and put it on my 300SDL.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Who would get the reference in the USA?

Or is this an oblique ref to a piece of computer memory (DDR RAM)?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

No thoughts of buying a Trabant and seeing what diktat will do for the car industry? One used to see the poor things farting along at 50 mph on the Autobahn, unwashed, half fractured, and all with their wee DDR signs on the back.

I have a few DDR stickers at home I bought 20 years ago, but home's on the other side of the world. My ex put one on her 250D. You can buy them readily from some memorabilia shops in Berlin, which isn't much help to you either, but I will be in Germany next month and I shall keep an eye out if you like.

By and large, the countries near the borders with Switzerland and the Eastern European countries used to stock the stickers as it was a requirement of entry. Since the new European numberplates and the entry of the Soviet satellite countries, they have become rather superfluous in central/Western Europe - apart from GB, of course.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Brown

Don't geddit. It is only compulsory to have a country sticker if the country is not already shown in an authorised way. EU plates show the country in a blue band at left.

In the UK the standard EU plate is an option. I have it, so I don't need an additional GB sticker when going abroad.

Cars with old plates do not need to retrofitted (but would need a country sticker when crossing a border).

I don't know in which countries the EU standard plate is mandatory. In Eire I think it is, for example.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Dori A Schmetterling wonders:

Pretty much any literate person who lived through the Cold War, I'd think. Contrary to popular belief abroad, many of us _are_ aware of matters beyond our borders.

No, it's a straightforward reference to the former country. For one thing it would cause people to do a doubletake, just because of the rarity. I've only ever seen one "DDR" sticker, on the back of a big Ford 4WD pickup truck of all things.

And for another, the idea of a "DDR" oval on a long-wheelbase W126 is endearingly perverse. A Trabant it ain't.

(The first time I saw a reference to DDR RAM, in a newspaper adver- tisement for a local electronics store, I thought to myself that the computer had East German memory.)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

: I'd like to get a "DDR" one and put it on my 300SDL.

I'd like to have a Trabant. Not as serious transportation, but just for fun and novelty's sake. Unfortunately, they aren't street-legal in the USA, to put it mildly. (I'm something of a Cold War buff, I suppose. I love John Le Carre novels and have a "Fallout Shelter" sign on my living room wall.)

Sure, that'd be great. If you find one or two, I can reimburse you with a postal money order. Thanks for offering.

I didn't realize until fairly recently that they were required. I had the impression that they were simply low-key expressions of national- istic pride, like the way some Americans have flag decals on their cars or pleasure craft have the names of their homeports on their transoms.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

DDR is for East Germany, why would you want to put up that?

cp

Reply to
cp

In the old days they were very rare in Germany (West), too, since noone was allowed out in that direction....

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Probably not allowed on emission grounds. They only got a special exemption in (western) Germany for political reasons as they exceeded permitted pollution levels already in 1989.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

cp wants to know:

: I'd like to get a "DDR" one and put it on my 300SDL.

Because I'm weird.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

How about the DDR logo sticker and a matching shirt?

DanlK, FYI Services Collectibles

FYIS.org/

Oh, those are cool! Thanks, comrade.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Now THAT is a classic!

cp

Reply to
cp

Oooooops - forgot to send these emails for a week or so... :-((

Geoff Miller wrote:

There's a small print on the back of these stickers:

Warning! Putting this sticker on any Western German product may transform it into a Trabant overnight. Use at your own risk!

Juergen ;-) See also

Juergen .

EU plates are only a recommendation, each country can decide itself whether to have them or not and if they then are mandatory or a choice.

Here in Germany until 14.01.1995 we had national plates only.

could choose, national or EU, since November 1st 2000 EU plates are mandatory for all new vehicles and also if the old plates have to be replaced (re-location of car, plates stolen).

According to

countries do have the EU plates: Austria Belgium Croatia (no EU member) Cyprus Czech Republic Estonia Finland (option) France (option) Germany Greece Hungary Ireland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxemburg Malta Netherlands Poland Portugal Slovakia Slowenia Sweden (option) UK (option)

Some information also here

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .