crank shaft positioning sensor E320

    anyone with experience of failure this part please explain symptoms and cost to fix. Tnx.

Unlike Crank Position sensor, crankshaft sensor usually work or doesn't work. You won't experience intermittent problem with it. When it fails, your car won't start.
GasSaver.
------ For only 4% of a hybrid cost, OFS can turn any vehicle into a hybrid-like vehicle. It's called Fuel-Efficiency Tune-up. It increases gas mileage and horse power. Making the right choice today will save you moneys for many years to come.. http://www.extra150miles.com
Hi. Had problem with the crank shaft position sensor. was intermittent. the engin control module would sense a problem and shut the engine down, it would start after 20 minutes ok. M.B. replaced sensor $548.00 works ok now.
larry.

This interesting. Could be the cause of the occasional intermittent engine cut-out on my 1993 190E.
It has been suggested by a mechanic but I haven't acted on it yet. Tried other, cheaper solutions.
DAS
"LARRY M MOSER" < snipped-for-privacy@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:49e783ad$0$27944$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com...

Yup, crankshaft sensor is different from crank position sensor. The crank position sensor is what giving you an intermittent problem due to sensor's magnetism getting weak (man-made type of magnet), usually this problem manifests after 7 years, the coil that generate the impulse depends on the strength of a magnet. A crank pos sensor can be dead also like crankshaft sensor but rarely.
GasSaver.
As below, it is important to make a difference between the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor.
Crankshaft position sensor failures are not rare, the first symptom typically is that the car does not start with a warm engine but starts again when the engine (sensor) has cooled down a bit.

You're right about naming, I got carried away when reading the word "crankshaft" because it sounds like "camshaft". I call it "Crank pos. sensor" instead to avoid getting confusing with Camshaft sensor. About 700K people on Google calling it "Crank Pos. Sensor", only 400K people calling it crankshaft pos. sensor. We should stick with "Crank pos. sensor"

$548 ? Gee that's too much. $65 at NAPA Parts made by impulse, works well too. To prevent it from dying again I sealed the sensor tip with sealing, and I tested it vigorously at very high heat and high speed 90mph.
GasSaver.
GasSaver wrote:

problem and resolve my situation.