Cruise Control Accelerates But Won't Hold Speed

At around 55 mph or above I can move my cruise lever to set/accelerate and it will immediately start to make the car accelerate. As soon as you let go of the lever, the acceleration immediately stops, but it won't hold the current speed.

Reply to
Absolutely

blanket resolder the amp and replace the crappy old dried out capacitiors with modern low esr, rock steady, pin point accuracy can then be expected.

this is what my '79 6.9 was doing.

Reply to
Ziggy Switkowski

I was heading that direction... thanks.

Reply to
Absolutely!

By the way, without me digging out the worthless Chiltons and Haynes manuals, where might I find the cruise amp?

capacitiors

Reply to
Absolutely!

I think that would depend on the car, which you didn't specify. In the 116 chassis, it's located under the drivers side dash, mounted with a bracket near the steering column. It's an aluminum rectangular housing, about 4X3X1 in dimension, with a single cable plug attached to it, as I recall.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

the reason I suggest a blanket resolder is because 90% of the time they die, its because of bad soldering, so you mayaswell do it, while its open.

take your time, and do it properly, if you are daunted by how much work there is to do, don't do it all in one sitting, as you'll be really unhappy if it starts to not work at all.

capacitiors

Reply to
Ziggy Switkowski

The car is an '81 300TD Turbo.

Don't mind the soldering. Well versed at it (fix numerous electronic devices).

Thanks for the input so far!

set/accelerate

Reply to
Absolutely

Opened up the amp and nothing looks out of place. Nothing overheated. Was this the case with your's also?

set/accelerate

Reply to
Absolutely