Cruise control maintainace

I have an 82 300SD with 97k miles. I had the cruise control go out on a previous SD (died at 400k) and it costs a bunch to repair. I was wondering if there is any preventive maintainance for this?

It is a common problem... no preventive measure unless you just don't use it that much. People who uses it all the time finds it died early.
Just get it repaired... a Colorado outfit does great job... go to mbcoupes.com and look under part supplier.

The cruise control failure is pretty will understood and even easier to fix - in most cases.
Take the mofo out, resolder every connection. EVERY connection. 99% of the time that fixes it. The other 1% of the time you guy a good used one from a scrapyard, (resolder it!) and install and go.
To answer the original question, well, uh, you could resolder it now or wait till it breaks then resolder it.
Richard Sexton wrote:

And by mofo, he means the cruise control amplifier located under the dash. Never tried the resoldering idea, but have replaced the amp in my 300SD once and it's currently out again. Like much of the German electronics, it's the weakest link. Currently, I'm dealing with a whacko tach and that's because the tach amp has gone again.