D(C) pays $650m to dump Chrysler

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/14/news/companies/chrysler_sale/index.htm?se ction=money_topstories
Daimler pays to dump Chrysler German automaker will end up actually paying $650 million to unload
Chrysler to end its exposure to billions in ongoing losses, healthcare costs. By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer May 14 2007: 11:53 AM EDT
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- DaimlerChrysler moved to undo the most expensive and one of the least successful mergers in auto industry history Monday as it agreed to essentially pay to dump the money-losing Chrysler unit which it paid $37 billion for nine years ago.

Now I don't understand the "paid $37 billion" that's been bandied about. To whom did they pay it? I was a Chrysler stockholder. I got 249 shares of DaimlerChrysler stock in exchange for, I believe it was, 400 shares of Chrysler. I got no money. I got stock valued at roughly what my Chrysler stock was valued at before the merger. DBAG stockholders also got DC stock, valued at what their DBAG stock was valued at before the merger. How did $37 billion change hands?