"D" Service on '04 E500

Can anyone tell me what is involved (or point me to a link) and what I might expect to pay from a qualified independent?
Thanks!

First let me say that after 24 years of Mercedes-Benz Dealership Parts experience that in my humble opinion that there are few if any "Qualified" independent repair shops as most don't have uptodate factory training and probably none have the required test equipment needed to properly diagnose the vehicles.
That being said here is a description of the service performed by a recent employer Mercedes-Benz of Tampa 866-777-9545Service: 813-873-2360 Parts: 813-878-0040 4636 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa, FL 33614 on their website.
There are basicly only two types of services "A" and "B" with all other letters being used to designate a "B" type service at least at the above mentioned Dealership. So here it is:
Here is what we do:
◦Replace windshield wiper inserts and service windshield washer system ◦Inspect and rotate tires, record tread depth, and correct tire pressure (wheel balance additional) – Excludes AMG, Sports Models, SLK and vehicles with staggered wheels ◦Engine oil change and oil filter replacement – Includes Mobile 1 synthetic oil ◦Lubrication service – Includes hood hinges, lock cylinders, striker plates, sun roof tracks and a top-off of all fluids ◦Cooling system inspection – Includes antifreeze protection level, hoses and clamps ◦Brake inspection – Includes checking pad thickness and condition of discs, fluids and lines ◦Replace heating and ventilation dust filter – Dust filter prices vary by model, please check with your Team Service Manager ◦Function check – Includes warning lamps, headlights, exterior lights, seat belts, windshield wiper and washer ◦Inspect and lubricate throttle linkage ◦Replace air filter ◦Reset flexible service system counter ◦Inspect front axle ball joints; check steering play and power steering clutch; and rear differential levels ◦Inspect Poly V-Belt for condition ◦Inspect starting and charging system, and service battery ◦Inspect climate control refrigerant
Here is why we do it:
During the B-Service, Certified Mercedes-Benz Technicians closely examine your automobile’s engine components, using specialized equipment to be sure that all the mechanical, electronic, and computerized devices are functioning properly.
At this time, we also need to address your automobile’s heating and cooling system. Over time, your engine coolant becomes contaminated, losing its ability to protect your engine from freezing in cold weather conditions and overheating in hot conditions. Very expensive repairs could result from avoiding this required maintenance.
Next, we inspect your fuel lines and connectors for any damage or wear, and we check your fuel tank vapor vent system, hoses and fuel tank supports. As we said above on the A-Service, it’s important that you trust only a Mercedes-Benz Factory Trained and Certified Technician to perform these functions.
Prices are market specific and you should call your local Dealer for that. Les
Les4Parts wrote:

Unless of course you live in the Seattle area and drive an older Merc. The dealer service programs are more geared toward steering you to a new car and the level of quality and competence on the older cars, especially diesels, is lacking. My indy shop owner has 25 years of MB dealer experience and his 3 mechs have dealer experience as well. Despite trumped up "excellence" awards that our local dealers tout, the only reason to take your MB to the dealer service dept around here is for the warranty work. I would advise SLGreg to check in with his local MBCA and see who the club guys like for indy work.
JD
JD wrote, On 12/18/2008 10:57 AM:

Which shop is this, and is this in Seattle?
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:20:15 -0800, der gediegene dgs

I'm in the SF Bay Area and stopped by Universal Auto Repair in San Leandro for a quote (no word back yet). He's a German fellow and it's always packed with MBZs and BMWs. Anyone have any experience with them?
Thanks, Greg
der gediegene dgs wrote:

GP Auto. It's actually in south Everett just off the 128th St exit.
On 12/19/2008 1:35 PM JD ignored two million years of human evolution to write:

Dang. Too far away for me. I asked here about a starting/idling problem in this newsgroup and got some good ideas for troubleshooting, but really would prefer to take my '91 300E to a decent shop somewhere south of the Ship Canal.