dashboard indicator lamps question - 81 300td

I didn't get a manual with my car, and my repair manual doesn't address this, so...
There are four indicator lamps on the lefthand side of the dash of my 81
300td - a headlight (high beam), a battery (charge), a circle with dotted lines around it (???) and BRAKE (parking and ??).
The 3rd one (???) started lighting up for a couple of seconds when starting the car two nights ago, and I can't find any information about what this means. Looking at my repair manual, I see a "brake wear indicator" light as a possibility, but I had them checked not too long ago and they seemed like there was plenty of pad on all four wheels. I've also found reference to a "low oil" light, but my oil gauge reads plenty, and the dipstick as well.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bill, Each brake pad has a sensor which contacts the rotor when the pad is almost worn out, turning on the dash warning light. The light should come on when the key is turned to the first position so you can tell if the warning bulb is functioning. A burnt-out bulb might cause you to run the pads down to metal. If you have relatively new front and rear pads, and the light is coming on when the car is running, perhaps one of the sensors has dropped out of its hole and is shorting out somewhere. The wires to the sensors, if not bent properly out of the way, could also short. Easy to check with the wheels off.
Thanks! I'll check the pads out today!
You might want to check the brake fluid level. There are 2 sensors, one in each of the reservoirs.Might have to have someone sit in the drivers seat and watch as you press each of the push buttons. Also, as was said in one of the posts, you might have a sensor shorting out onto the brake rotor. This indicator is about $2.50 and is easy to change. The pull out of the shoe (a tight fit, up if I remember correctly) and also out of a connector on the car side. This is also tight because you want this seal to keep the water out...
Good Luck...This is a real easy fix...
Bill

Actually, it WAS the brake fluid... A tad low - filling it up made the light go away. NOw to find out why it was low!\
Thanks. BW