Depreciation curve for SL500-Maximizing fun/minimizing loss

After getting divorced, I decided to really splurge and get my dream car, since my ex always got the new cars in the past. I have owned a 2005 SL500 since Sept. 2004, and have enjoyed my experience. I do not
regret buying the car, but I can say that I feel as though I have experienced the thrill, and now my rational self is beginning to contemplate the huge depreciation that such a car experiences. I am starting to consider selling the car within the near future, but was looking for any input on when the best time to sell this car would be. My thinking is that it would minimize the depreciation to sell the car within 2005 so that it still would be a current model, but wait until the latter part of the year so that I could enjoy it for another 7-9 months. Obviously, the depreciation which occurs once you drive off the lot, is a one-time hit, and has already occured, so the next biggest factors are the mileage, and model year. I can afford the car, but I feel that the car payments could be much more wisely applied toward savings which were cleaned out by the divorce.
Well, like you said, you already took the drove-off-the-lot hit, and so you need to average that out over a while. I would say sell it while there is 1-2 years of warranty left. As soon as that warranty goes, so will a lot of selling price, but if you don't drive much (like 9000miles/year) I think you should hold onto the car for 2 years. Richard

SL has traditionally hit depreciation big time over time... so your best interest is to sell as you said... within 2005.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I just read recently that you can get much more for a convertible in spring than in the fall.
Of course, that depends on where you live.
--

Nothing is the way it is because that's the way it has to be.

1 HP = 745.69987158227022 Watts
If it lends any perspective to your question, I'll relate my experience:
In April of this year, I purchased a 2002 SL500 in PERFECT condition with 6800 miles from a Mercedes dealer. It still had 2 years remaining of the factory warranty. I paid $54,200 plus an additional $1900 for an additional 3-year Starmark warranty. The car is loaded with AMG trim, Xenon lights, burl wood interior and special order tan soft top. I think the original MSRP was close to $90K.
That's why I always buy my cars used. I got a nearly new car for

if I had purchased new.

Not trying to rub salt into an obviously open wound but it sounds like your ex might still have the last laugh.
Did you get the automobile to impress others or for your own enjoyment?
If the latter, then you need not be concerned about book value, as its value to you is what counts. It can continue to make your heart race for years yet to come, always transporting you in stylish, timeless elegance with pizzazz.
Ten, twenty, thirty years old or more, it makes no difference: a reasonably cared-for SL remains a thing of beauty. And yes: the fun-factor also lives on.
Unless you go for a true classic (which are fun to drive but often hellacious to maintain), most vehicles are not investments but depreciating assets. You already took the hit on this, so you may as well sit back and relax (this assumes you had the wherewithal to purchase the car without going into debt or taking out a note).
Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
Paul
--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---
First cliche of 2005...
:-)) DAS
Paul, you said:

that's a profound observation. It really is true, and liberating in a way, when you think of it like that. Thanks, al