Diagnostic scanner on 38pin mercedes

I'm searching a low cost solution to diagnose recent mercedes with digital 38pin interface (not OBD) for home use. Do you have idea ? I saw a pretty interesting palm scanner TRISCO
(see http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/mb_scnrs.html ). Has anybody tried it ? Thank you
How recent are you talking about? 96+?
Yes, for 96+ model (1998 W210 E300TD - european version without OBD)

Go with Auterra... I have used this... great thing... Powered by your Palm Pilot with serial cable. Has a dyno too.
http://www.auterraweb.com
Oops... my mistake... you said non-OBD???