Diesel Catalytic Converter Question

My new 300D has a bad catalytic converter.
I have been told that MB offered a free once-in-a-life replacement of these units, and I would like to have this work done if possible.
Anybody ever heard of such a program?
What year is the car? If it is an 85 or so it probably has a trap oxidizer, standard in CA. There are no cats on early diesels, at least none I'm aware of.
Yes, it is an '85 from California and it is called a "trap oxidizer" instead of a catalytic converter.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What is you vin number? I can tell you if it was done. Also, you can look at the part number on the trap. If it starts with 617, it is the original trap. If it starts with 126, it is the replacement cat.

My VIN is WDBAB33C3FA261789
Karl wrote:

Hi Paul, Your 85 IS due for the new trap. You have open campaign 96-1121. Go to your nearest dealer and have the trap replaced.

When you say "new" you mean "new to me", yes? MB will look up the VIN of the car and replace the trap oxidizer (with a pipe) if it's never been done on your vehicle.
Depends on the year. 85, the trap oxidizer was replaced by a catalytic convertor. 86/87 124 and 126 the trap on top of the engine was replaced by a pipe AND a cat was added downstream.