Diesel EGR ARV

Been reading around the net. Trend in what I see seems to say, cleaning the EGR to make sure it shuts properly, then blocking the vaccum hose to it, and the ARV, makes for a much longer lasting, better performing, more MPG, healthier turbo diesel engine. Seems as euro cars never even had this stuff. If any MB diesel mechs hang here, could you give your opinion, theoretically? I'm not interested in the legal aspects, just the mechanics, thanks.

Reply to
Adysthemic

I got rid of mine by removing the EGR from the intake manifold and replacing the stock gasket with one without a hole in it, thereby effectively blocking the EGR from the system.

This prevents exhaust gases, which contain large amounts of carbon, from recycling through the cylinders. My car runs great this way and I have been advised by a Mercedes service manager that this will not harm the car.

It will increase your NO2 emissions. I am not sure if this will effect passing a smog test. Smog tests are not required where I live.

Paul

Reply to
heav