diesel engine swap

Living in Australia we only received the w123 and w124 with diesel engine. The problem is I want to install a diesel engine into the fantastic w126 chassis,
with the intention of eventually running it on bio-diesel. Does anyone have any experience of such a conversion, if so What is involved ? What is the best engine, 300D or 350D ? Is the the 300D the same as used in w123 & w124 ? What other markets apart from the U.S. received the 350 D engine. Will they hook straight up to a 380sel transmission ? Did the 300 sdl and the 350 sdl have different diff ratios to the 380 sel ? Any information at all is most appreciated. Bill
The 5 cylinder 300D, even as a turbo, makes only 120 HP - too low for this car's weight or M-B would have installed it.
In the USA a six cylinder 3.0L diesel (148 HP) was installed in the 126 in '86 and '87 only. These are great cars, well regarded.
The 3.5L diesel is powerful but has an awful reputation for bending its connecting rods, scoring cylinders and destroying itself. So that's probably not the one to buy.
The transmission and engine should be acquired as a unit. The diesels and gas engines don't use the same box.

C'mon TG, Benz put the 5 cylinder engine in the 116 300 SD and also the 126 300 SD. The 116 chassis was heavier than the 126. SD is the abreviation for Super Dog.
Chas Hurst
OK, Very good. So who can tell me how much a good second hand six cyl 300 turbo diesel with tranny would cost in the States ?

Buy the entire car, cheaper.
in my 84sd i have a 81cd (300d turbo) enging. you will need the eng. mounts from the doner car. the ones in the 126 will not work. at least in my case they did not, also your tack will not work. the line is in a diferent place. greg

The problem is I want to install a diesel engine into the fantastic w126 chassis, with the intention of eventually running it on bio-diesel. Does anyone have any experience of such a conversion, if so What is involved ? What is the best engine, 300D or 350D ? Is the the 300D the same as used in w123 & w124 ? What other markets apart from the U.S. received the 350 D engine. Will they hook straight up to a 380sel transmission ? Did the 300 sdl and the 350 sdl have different diff ratios to the 380 sel ? Any information at all is most appreciated. Bill

I would only get an engine from the 1986-1987 300SDL or 1987 300D. It is far more reliable than the one from the 1990-1991 350SD/SDL.