Diesel Injector Information

The following page has good information about diesel injectors, their expected useful lives and when remanufactured injectors are needed.
http://www.beru.com/english/produkte/dieseleinspritzung.php

permission.
On Dec 7, 3:52 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

Good link TG. Beru recommends testing the injectors every 15K miles after 50,000. Has anyone figured out any way to do this? The MB manual talks about putting them in a shop test fixture and observing the spray pattern. Doesn't seem practical for us weekend warriors. I wonder if pros even do this? I'd bet it's more likely they just replace them all when they think there is a problem.
Sounds like at 125K with the originals on my 1980 300SD, I should just replace mine.
I always get a kick out of reading parts of the MB manual for my car on things like this. One of my favorites is the dozens of pages they devote to rebuilding the two different models of air conditioning compressors. We all know the dealers never rebuilt an AC compressor. And it's hard to imagine any shop doing it instead of just going with a remanufactured one. I'd be surprised if the necesarry parts for a rebuild ever existed.
I believe we own the same manual: Turbo Diesel 300SD (116.120) USA 1978!
The German mentality was that the local shop REPAIR, not replace. That's from the time when there were oil cups, grease fittings and adjustments on many moving parts so that maximum performance could be achieved in part via fine tuning. Valve and carburetor's adjustments etc.
Labor costs now exceed material and (automated) manufacturing costs so the local craftsman mechanics have become obsolete (and hopefully have retired by now).
Testing fuel injectors: reuse if they test OK, otherwise replace. Sounds like "marketing" to find a sale. You may have your injectors rebuilt at a Bosch diesel shop; these are usually found in commercial areas. Our engine's injectors' opening pressure (adjustable inside the injector) should be between 1958 and 2074 psi. (Page 73)
permission.
I once had an open compressor clutch coil (84 190D). Inquired with the dealer. They don't carry any part that is smaller than the whole compressor, even though many (including the coil) do have the part numbers.
After some research, I realized the compressor core is used in many other applications. Found one from a Ford Mustang. Took out the clutch and transplanted into mine. The coil had slightly different wiring. Soldering solved the problem. The compressor is still running many years now.