Diesel Injectors update

Hi Guys and Gals. I finally put my car back together. I was very busy and weather was not good. It emits alot less diesel smell at the tailpipe... no doubt about it.
You can stand next to it and not notice it. I used to get heavy smell all the time. Maybe it was a tad windy, but still I don't see that heavy vapors and smell that diesel as it used to. I drove the car today... definitely start up perfect in cold weather... I used to get heavy stumbling until I smooth out the engine by giving a bit more gas. It purred to life like you would not believe. Out on the road, the car drives normally... it can attack the hill without me accelerating harder and tranny now knows when to shift lower earlier before the engine is under heavy stress. A lot less pressure on the gas pedal to keep car going. I find myself driving too fast on local road... need to baby the car so I don't get tickets. It is definitely a major improvement that I can see my highway driving using far less fuel than before. The hill test proves it to me. So, it is definitely time for you to change yours too. Now, I need to attack all other possible places for leaks... fuel tank hoses? Anything else you guys know? I found another leak in my engine compartment... that stupid little shutoff thing on top of my fuel filter... Remember, my car is 1995 E300D so it has a little turn knob for emergency shut off. rather than a level.
Time and money well spent!
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:57:52 -0700, -->> T.G. Lambach <<-- wrote:

It does indeed appear to be the case. I've got three injector on order with my parts house in Indy. I'll be installing them next weekend. Have found a wee leak in fuel line from tank to engine compartment that gets a little higher priority on fixing. Then it's body work and electical stuff (got a short in the central locking mechanism that is probably in the trunk lock but haven't taken the time to isolate it yet due to weather).
--
Cheers, Kurt

Tiger wrote:

Hi Tiger,
Would you please give us the details of what you did? I haven't done much to my '84 240D (90,200 miles) for a few years and my conscience is beginning to kick me.
TIA
RF
What I did was simply change the diesel injectors and the heat shield washer for the injectors. On your car and those of the same vintage, diesel injectors are real easy to get to... mine was recessed in the valve cover and requires a special tool to get it out.
If the instructions are what you wanted, then you need to crimp the return fuel hose shut by the fuel filter... otherwise fuel will keep flowing. Then simply remove the fuel return line and the main injector line and change them out.
Tiger wrote:

Thanks Tiger for the info.
I will try to go that route. Sounds very effective.
RuF