diesel into a landrover

Hello

After always being passed by a Mercedes white vans at a speed that makes me appear to be standing still............does anyone have any thoughts on putting a Mercedes diesel engine into a Land Rover......

Thanks

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

LOL

Reply to
Brett

Buying a second hand Merc van will be a better solution.

"Smokeyone" news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com

That's a bad idea, you'd be better off with a Japanese diesel, a Mazda for example, I've seen a few Land/Range Rovers with MB engines and they all seemed to have cooling problems.

Why not just get a G Wagen?

Reply to
nick

They drive circles around me, too, when I am driving in my 72 PS W123 240D which needs

24.7 secs from zero to 62.1 mph and has a top speed of 86 mph - those white vans with the 156 PS engine have a top speed of ca. 105 mph and tuned ones go around 115+ mph...

The solution is to stay calm and let them race as fast as they want, they are stupid and do not know what they are doing: Crash and accident rate amongst white van drivers here in Germany is _extremely_ high.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

They drive circles around me, too, when I am driving in my 72 PS W123 240D which needs

24.7 secs from zero to 62.1 mph and has a top speed of 86 mph - those white vans with the 156 PS engine have a top speed of ca. 105 mph and tuned ones go around 115+ mph...

The solution is to stay calm and let them race as fast as they want, they are stupid and do not know what they are doing: Crash and death rate amongst white van drivers here in Germany is _extremely_ high.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

My father put in a 28 year old 300D engine and auto transmission into a Ford Econoline camperized van, fuel consumption is 30% of what it was before and no problems so far in 90,000 miles. Went across Canada and back, Alaska and Northwest Territories in Canada 4 times and back again next week, Florida and back, about 7000 miles and NO PROBLEMS. THAT's a mericedes! :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

They use basically the same engines as in the C 270, E 270 cars so the performance, NVH levels are of course very impressive.

Mercedes-Benz vans, like much of their many other models & types of vehicles which includes their cars, buses & coaches perform @ their best & give the most travelling satisfaction especially when driven fast ! Therefore i can almost perfectly understand why a Vito or Sprinter van or minibus have to be driven fast to make it worth the while to drive them in the 1st place ! Otherwise might as well drive a Trabant !!

The standard of handling & stability even around 100 km/h levels is very impressive, definitely light years ahead of say a Suzuki, Toyota or Nissan van ! The quality of the van population in Germany i've good reason to believe is the best in the world so that however 'extremely high' the accident & fatality rates may be in Germany involving vans, the safety levels is still superior to almost anywhere in the world !

Therefore. i'm NOT particularly alarmed by any such claims of 'extremely high' accidents rates, if it ever is true. You drive a lousy junk van in Asia or India etc. you'll only get a much worse situation !! You drive a 240 D ? Then perhaps you should compare with an O 309 minibus or a 307 D van instead ! That's more of your generation & your

240 D would still greatly 'outperform' them ! The present generation of vans like the Sprinter 316 cDi etc. should go with the C 270 or E 270 instead then you'll notice the van would still be much slower than the cars !! Just as your 240 D would be much slower than a E 270 eventhough both are diesel cars !! I do believe the Mercedes van drivers know what they're doing ! They'll not tend to drive in the same manner if they're driving a lousier van. If they drive a Toyota LiteAce etc. van the same way, then i'll say they don't know what they're doing ! In essence, therefore no great cause for alarm.

Juergen . wrote:

Reply to
House of Chin

A Japanese diesel engine is a relatively inferior & backdated choice to consider, especially with 2nd generation cDi charge-cooled diesels now available !!

Overall, i'll not bother to use a Japanese diesel again, now with the great progress (especially over the last 5 years) made in M-B diesel engines ! The cooling problems can have a variety of causes which need not be due to inferior engine design etc. especially since M-B engines are not custom design to go with Land or Range rovers in the 1st place !

G-wagen ? I'll settle for a G 400, can forget the G 500, unless they do a modern diesel version of it !

nick wrote:

Reply to
House of Chin

I had an extra 617 turbo diesel engine and looked into putting it into a 4x4 body. I ran into problems with almost all of them except one. MB uses a front sump on the oil pan and from the top of the valve cover to the bottom of the pan, it is 29 1/2". All using a front differential would not let the engine sit low enough in the frame. The only one I found that had enough clearance between the sub-pan and the front diff was the old Nissan Patrol. But the frame rails were too narrow.... I did not have a G wagon to play with. They were too expensive here in the US since they were not a legal vehicle then [still too expensive!]. And 300GD's were around.

Reply to
Karl

I thought that M-B diesel engines were always topnotch (within the context of their time, of course).

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

If you look @ the engines used in the Vito & Sprinter vans over the last

5 years or so, i notice the improvement is quite significant in the area of performance, emissions, NVH levels (noise, vibration & harshness) !

I never quite liked the old 2.3 litre ln-line 4 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel in the Vito 108 D due to it's limited performance & the irritating resonance @ certain rpm's in the lower speed range ! But the current

2.2 litre in-line 4 is light years ahead despite being smaller with far superior performance & lower NVH levels in the E 220 & Vito in 112 cDi form, as 1 example.

The old 2.9 litre in-line 5 used in the Sprinter 312 D & E 290 etc. since the mid-90's was quite a 'refined' unit, sounding like an Audi 5-cylinder petrol engine eventhough it's a diesel ! Now that's been superceded by the 2.7 litre in-line 5 cDi unit which is known to be far superior in performance with much lower NVH & exhaust emission levels. So i conclude that over the last 5 years, there's been significant progress in M-B diesel engines.

I agree (with few exceptions) that M-B diesels are topnotch for their time if not even somewhat ahead of their time.

Dori Schmetterl> I thought that M-B diesel engines were always topnotch (within the context

Reply to
House of Chin
300 GD's would have used the OM 617. Wonder if there existed any OM 617 A (turbo only) or OM 617 LA (charge-cooled as well) of the same engine in normal production in the 300 GD ?

Karl wrote:

Reply to
House of Chin

No question there have been immense improvements in diesel engines in recent years. Improved fuel quality has helped, of course. Hence arrival of CLK diesel; years ago that would have been an oxymoron.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

But the chances of taking a Cdi engine unit, and it's relevent computers and cats and fitting it into Land Rover are slim, a more realistic conversion would use a 617 or 606 engine.

Reply to
nick