Diesel Lowering Sport Springs?

Hey Guys and Gals, Happy New Year! I am wondering how many of you have installed lowering spring kit on your diesel... yourself or you had someone else installed... either way.

The reason I am asking is because some brand specifically said not for diesel... and other doesn't say... and I am wondering... what is the big deal? The diesel engine couldn't be that much heavier than the V8 engine...

Otherwise, I don't know what the issue is. Thanks for all the replies...

Tiger

Reply to
Tiger

I'm not sure which year you are talking about. I'm assuming that by mention of V-8 and diesel available in the same car, you mean a more modern diesel. Diesels are really meaty though. Much thicker castings. I wouldn't be surprised if it were significantly heavier though. You might be surprised what a few hundred pounds right over the front wheels will do to handling. That lowered car with what is supposed to be better handling might not have quite the handling you expect.

Reply to
weelliott

Oh... I meant like a 1995 E300D... or 1987 300SDL. I recalled the Eibach kit I installed on my 380SE mentioned 300SD on the box as one of the application.

H&R Spring is the only one that said "except diesel"... Eibach doesn't say anything. Just that all W124 except Convertible... and the Convertible or the CE has their own set.

Reply to
Tiger

I don't know for sure, but I would think that the majority of the weight difference between the two cars(gas and diesel) would be up front in the engine and tranny combo. So if you could find weights for the two versions, that might let you know how much more weight is over the front wheels. Just an idea.

Reply to
weelliott

Thanks for your suggestion... I'd probably just call Eibach up and ask.

Reply to
Tiger

I just took a look on the vehicle weight. I don't see any problem.

On W124 for 1995 models... E300D 3485 lbs. E320 3525 lbs. E420 3745 lbs. E320 Coupe 3550lbs.

On W126 for 1990 models...

320SEL 3785 lbs. 350SDL 3820 lbs. 420SEL 3915 lbs. 560SEL 4100 lbs.

With 20% strong spring rate... it should be of no problem at all for any model. I am not sure why H&R is so adamant for no diesel.. I can seee the engine is slightly heavier but not when you compare to the V8 engines....

Reply to
Tiger

Could it be the torque? I could see the concern if there was a different motor mount?

Reply to
Many

Just turn off your ESP, they'll work fine.

Reply to
Rob

Wow-I really thought the diesel would be heavier than the 320. I don't see how the motor mounts would have an effect on the springs. They aren't that close are they? It would seem odd to me for a car comapny to make a chassis to take both engines, but have a different spring mounting for each engine since the spring mounting point is somethign that woudl be easy to make standard for all engines. It goes against the philosophy of having the fewest necessary parts. It isn't really a philosophy that MB is all that great at, but that would be strange.

As far as torque causing the car to roll to one side on acceleration, I don't think they would change spring rates for that. Maybe sway bar thickness, but not spring rates.

Reply to
weelliott

Wow-I really thought the diesel would be heavier than the 320. I don't see how the motor mounts would have an effect on the springs. They aren't that close are they? It would seem odd to me for a car comapny to make a chassis to take both engines, but have a different spring mounting for each engine since the spring mounting point is somethign that woudl be easy to make standard for all engines. It goes against the philosophy of having the fewest necessary parts. It isn't really a philosophy that MB is all that great at, but that would be strange.

As far as torque causing the car to roll to one side on acceleration, I don't think they would change spring rates for that. Maybe sway bar thickness, but not spring rates.

If I recall correctly, there used to be a seperate shock absorber attached to the diesel engines to compensate for torque.

Looking atthe numbers though I think you are correct and I doubt there is enough of a difference to require any change in spring rate

Reply to
Many

Let me know how it works; I'm thinking of lowering my '92 300D after putting a set of AMG 17" wheels on it.

JD

Reply to
JD

Will do... it might be a while before I install it. I will definitely report back. I too bought a set of real nice rare Lorinser RS90 wheels... Currently I am using the W211 16" wheels for summer and factory wheels for winter tire.

Reply to
Tiger