Diesel Owners Test This Theory...

Hey Everyone, This is for all you Mercedes Diesel car owners... For those of us with diesels up to 1999. If you are daring, please test this and see if you got
any fuel mileage improvement. I did the test on my 95 E300D. I had a little problem with my fuel mileage... keep getting like 25 or 26 MPG when I should be getting like 30 average. Marvel Mystery Oil... put 4 oz for every 10 gallons... so most of us will put in about 8 oz into the fuel tank. It will not hurt your car... it is just a thin lubricant that will add some cetane value and clean out your fuel system.
I just finished half of my tank as I don't drive that much... and I am getting 30 MPG. Just before half tank, I added some Startron, an antifungal enzymes to clean out my tank of any possible fungus and next thing I know is 32 MPG... this is all local driving, very little highway driving.
My friend with 87 300SDL got similar results... he finished his tank in no time as he drives alot... and he went from 24 MPG to 28 MPG in local driving too. He usually get 25 only on highway.
Just try one tank and report back... mileage... any feeling if engine runs better... anything you can tell me.
Startron is expensive, but I want you to at least try Marvel Mystery Oil... less then $5 and you can get 4 tanks out of 32 oz bottle.

Hi Tiger,
I didn't document a before and after, but did notice a bit of a rise in mpg on my '84 300SD. (If it was on the road) I get about 33 mpg (Canadian) in mixed driving. I've also tossed a little into the crankcase. And I'm still frigging witht hat stupid glowplug! I haven't jammed a smaller imperial socket on it yet, but I will on the weekend.
Tim Delaney
Candian miles or gallons, or both? Little or Imperial?
:-) DAS
news: snipped-for-privacy@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...
My diesel is an 84 300D. I use Lucas Upper cylinder lubricant in my diesel. I have run it without it for a couple of tanks and do notice a difference, both in fuel mileage and running quality. I haven't seen Startron. Where did you get this? I don't think that would hurt to run through a 23 year old fuel tank. How much is expensive? $20, $50? I didn't put any Lucas in this tank, I'll try some Marvel this weekend and see if it makes any difference. Just curious, do you work for either of these companies? I don't really care, but I would like to know if I'm being a test subject for a marketing campaign or something.
[...]

[...]
OK, I'll give a try. The next time I fill up anyhow.
--
Cheers,
Kurt

So I checked out the website. 8oz is not that bad ($12 a bottle, $20 shipped), so I ordered a bottle. I also bought a quart of MM Oil yesterday and put it in right before I filled up. I put about 16oz. in the fuel tank, and the rest (8oz or so) in the crankcase. Basically, just enough to top off the oil level. Thats probably overkill for the fuel, but I can get another quart next time and do the recommended treatment, its only about $3 a bottle. I'll report back in a few weeks with mileage comparisons and comments/ feelings on responsiveness and acceleration. Just for reference, I get about 24mpg with all city driving in my 84 300D. Slightly higher if I get on the interstate, but not much.
That's great Doug... let me know how you make out.

Hey Tiger, I used some diesel fuel additive when I changed fuel filters. I filled the new filter with the stuff and wow what a difference in power! Also mpg went from 28 to 31 mixed driving on my 240d. Similar results on the 300sd power wise. Hope to get the mpg data soon.
I got the same result with diesel additive but most diesel additive cost like $9 per bottle and one bottle does one tank. So if ti cost us $55 to fill up the tank, this will bring us to $64 per tank... that's pricy.
Marvel Mystery Oil cost like $5 per 32oz and we can use it 4 times... which is only $1.25 per tank... that may add nearly 5 MPG extra so that's like extra 100 miles per tank for us... and only a penny for extra mile gained.
Tiger wrote:

Has anyone tried the following additive, or know anything about it?
FUEL ADDITIVE GUARANTEES TO INCEASE FUEL EFFICIENCY 10%, INCREASE HORSEPOWER 7 TO 12%, INCREASE LUBRICITY, DECREASE HARMFUL EXHAUST EMISSSIONS. CA-40g is calcium sulfonate suspended in a blend of oils. Calcium sulfonate is been known used for years as a diesel engine emission reducer and combustion enhancer. Calcium Sulfonate suspended in the proper oils creates the awesome benefits of CA-40g. CA-40g can be used with diesel, gasoline, bio-diesel, ethanol (E-85).
Try CA-40g risk free, money back guaranteed.
Dosage: 1 ounce per 15 gallons fuel.
Costs: (1) quart, $30.00 each; treats 480 gallons fuel.
(1) gallon, $100.00 each; treats 10, 240 gallons fuel.
http://dearborn-michigan.olx.com/ca-40g-fuel-additive-money-back-guarantee-to-save-you-money-on-fuel-costs-iid-3862179
Contact Us:
Phone: (734) 247-4488
Email: snipped-for-privacy@hydro-zoneinc.com