diesel performance upgrade (intercoolers)

Hi everybody.
Once upon a time, I read a post in this group that led me to a url of an individual in the Bay Area (California) that had retrofitted his W123
300D Turbo with an intercooler.
I have a'85 300SD and a '86 300SDL. I'm not too interested in spending anything on the '85, but I do want to try this on my '86. I've got a spare engine and transmission, so I'm not really afraid to 'push the envelope' with the SDL.
Is there anybody out there on planet earth that has any experience and more importantly, is willing to share that information?
Thanks,
Kevin L. Bray Cedar Park, TX
Don't, this engine doesn't lack for air, or fuel, in fact it's about at its maximum. That's so because overheating it, and that's not hard to do, will crack its aluminum cylinder head.
Assuming this is the OM602/603 series engine, Mosselman Turbos of Holland has an intercooler kit for the '87 (W124) 300D that adds an intercooler... with a 20% HP and 25% torque gain. The big thing limiting that engine, I hear, is EGT's... they have lots of euro vehicles running with this config. Estimated price is $1800, though it won't fit the EGR exhaust manifold of the US 87 300D... they're workin on it.
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=&threadidd901
Mike