Diesel prices

Page 1 of 4
Living in the city we don't drive all that much. It was maybe a month since I had topped off the tank on Der Klunker (1981 300SD). So yesterday we filled 'er up. $4.14 per gallon! We will be driving a lot
less in future. Just decided an open house this coming Sunday is not worth $20 in fuel costs.

Boy, that's cheap, in the UK it's nearly 3 times that (See http://www.see-search.com/business/fuelandpetrolpriceseurope.htm for a comparison of US to Europe).
Richard See http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/caravanning/ForSale.htm as I'm selling my caravan and all of my caravanning equipment.
--
...well, that's all the extracts we have time for. Samantha is
collecting the tapes, and putting them away safely with all the other

But we don't live in the UK and we don't drive a car sized to UK fuel prices.
Fuel in the UK is not priced to the size of the car!!
Gogarty wrote:

It is not illegal to burn waste motor oil in a commercial facility that produces it. So in the mechanic's shop he is fine. Some of these furnaces that burn it are actually EPA certified to burn cleanly. I don't know how they do that with the heavy metals that are in the oil, but they managed to get them certified.
About the only place that it is illegal to use it is in a single family dwelling. Single family dwellings have to be heated by a UL listed device, and UL does not have any testing for waste oil heaters.
Bill
Econoheat is one of the manufacturers of the EPA certified burners. There are more, but I can't remember who else is in the field. Google if interested.
Bill
Gogarty wrote:

None the less we (collectively) drive huge diesel pickups that haven't got a scratch in the bed and and might get used twice a year to tow a boat they can't afford to put fuel in either. The rest of the time we're driving them solo. The Ford Ranger with a 2.5 turbodiesel is made in the USA and YOU CAN'T GET IT HERE.
Richard Cole wrote:

That's very old figures (August 2005)
Here in Germany a typical price today is 1,37 Euro/litre for Diesel and 1,45 Euro/litre for Premium (Super).
In UK currency that's 1.04 pounds resp. 1.10 GBP.
In US terms that's 5,19 Euro per gallon Diesel and 5,49 Euro per gallon Premium.
Based upon the high Euro and the weak US Dollar Germans on vacation in the US would pay Euro 2.70 per gallon Diesel, that's 0.71 Euro per litre. In other words: Fuel in the US today is half of the German price.

Sorry, I realised now that that data was completely out-of-date.
The current UK price average according to the AA (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel /) is 112.1 pence per litre, so 1 us gallon = 3.78541178 litres = 424.34p per US gallon = $2.12 per gallon at $2=1 which isn't to bad compared to the price in Kansas of $3.54 per gallon (http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/521206.html )
Richard See http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/caravanning/ForSale.htm as I'm selling my caravan and all of my caravanning equipment.
--
...well, that's all the extracts we have time for. Samantha is
collecting the tapes, and putting them away safely with all the other
Juergen . wrote:

The telling side of the equation is how much of the price is taxes. According to this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_tax ) you guys in Europe are getting screwed royally by taxation while we apparently pay more to the oil companies. I guess that revolution paid off. Now to do the same to the corporations.
JD
I bought an older Mercedes (84 300sd) to run biodiesel and WVO(waste veggie oil) in. For that year of car it costs $500 US to convert and the WVO is free from a restaurant that gives it to me. The biodiesel costs the same as diesel at the pump. Plus, I sleep better at night.
Jeff

I don't think any one would sleep well at $4.00/g, soon it will creep up to $5.69. I'm glad I fixed my new C280 to be 2X fuel efficient, roughly speaking, I spent $1.62/g for the same distance you burn on a $3.40/g or $4/g.

You misunderstand me, all of my WVO fuel is free. It doesn't cost me a penny. It is filtered and poured straight into the car. Pure and simple.
As long as you live in a mild climate year round you can do it this way.
In the winter, where I live, you have to add a little diesel, biodiesel or kerosene to thin the mixture.
So, in the winter, the fuel averages about 50 cents a gallon and in the summer it costs ZERO cents a gallon.
All the Best, Jeff

Wow, this is the first time I heard this. So you don't mix your wasted oil with other ingredient like Methanol and other ingredients? Methanol is expensive $7-$10/g.

One small point; WVO used as a fuel is sometimes still subject to state tax (it is in my state) and they have ticketed and fined people for not paying "road use" or "fuel taxes".
YVMV, but I *think* this is true in all 50 US states and probably in Canada. I would imagine that it would also be true elsewhere too.

please tell me how the tax agents deduced that people were using WVO and that taxes were not paid __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Easy. If a car drives past that smells like a KFC then check them out.
Richard See http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/caravanning/ForSale.htm as I'm selling my caravan and all of my caravanning equipment.
--
'Well the way I see it, logic is only a way of being ignorant by
numbers.' - 'Small Gods' by Terry Pratchett

Don't know but if you are interested you could always research it. BTW I stand corrected on Canada.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/06/14/north-carolina-man-fined-for-using-vegetable-oil-in-his-car /
www.c-5.org/Archives/Other/biodiesel_wvo_production_summary.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_vegetable_oil Taxation of fuel Taxation on SVO/PPO as a road fuel varies from country to country, and it is possible the revenue departments in many countries are even unaware of its use, or feel it insufficiently significant to legislate. Germany offers 0% taxation, resulting in their leading on most developments of the fuel use. However SVO/PPO as a road fuel will be taxed with 0,09 ?/liter on January, the 1st of 2008 in Germany. From thereon it will rise up to 0,45 ?/liter until 2012.
There seems to be no clear taxation system in the USA, however given the low rate of fuel taxation, it is unlikely to face anything unfavorable, although charges could vary from state to state. Production of biodiesel in some US regions may require motor fuel taxes to be paid, which are typically used to fund road construction costs.[8]
The Government of Canada exempted biodiesel from the federal excise tax on diesel in the March 2003 budget. In Ireland a pilot scheme is currently running (as of April 2006) whereby eight suppliers have been approved to sell SVO/PPO for use as a fuel without the payment of excise duty (Value Added Tax at 21% still applies, SVO from any other source still attracts excise duty at 36.8058 Euro cents per litre plus 21% VAT). Despite its use being common in France, it would appear there has been no legislation to cover this.
In the UK, it is legal once duty on the fuel is paid.[9] In the UK, drivers using SVO/PPO have been prosecuted for failure to pay duty to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. The rate of taxation on SVO was originally set at a reduced rate of 27.1p per litre, but in late 2005, HMRC started to enforce the full diesel excise rate of 47.1p per litre.
Following a review late 2006,[10] HM Revenue & Customs has announced changes regarding the administration and collection of excise duty of biofuels and other fuel substitutes (Veg Oil). The changes came into effect on June 30, 2007. There is no longer a requirement to register (enter premises) or pay duty on vegetable oil used as road fuel if you 'produce' (use) less than 2500 litres per year.[11] For those producing over this threshold the biodiesel rate now applies.
HMRC argued that SVOs/PPOs on the market from small producers did not meet the official definition of "biodiesel" in Section 2AA of The Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979 (HODA), and consequently was merely a "fuel substitute" chargeable at the normal diesel rate. Such a policy seemed to contradict the UK Government's commitments to the Kyoto Protocol and to many EU directives and had many consequences, including an attempt to make the increase retroactive, with one organization being presented with a 16,000 back tax bill. This change in the rate of excise duty has effectively removed any commercial incentive to use SVO/PPO, regardless of its desirability on environmental grounds; unless waste vegetable oil can be obtained free of charge, the combined price of SVO/PPO and taxation for its use usually exceeds the price of mineral diesel. HMRC's interpretation is being widely challenged by the SVO/PPO industry and the UK pure Plant Oil Association (UKPPOA) has been formed to represent the interests of people using vegetable oil as fuel and to lobby parliament.[12]

you made the claim but I need to research it? __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I will follow the advice in your tag line.