Diesel short blocks

Just learned that our newly "rebuilt" 2.4 Mercedes sailboat auxiliary (240D in the land version) is hosed. Anyone have any suggestions for a remanned
short block? I found a couple of venders on the web but would really like the forums feedback. Thanks, JAB
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:17:29 -0400, Tom Matsoukas wrote:

Bummer. As you know from my earlier post, I'm very curious and have no clue about who is doing "correct" MB diesel rebuilds. I have one, potentially two candidates for a rebuild, but I'd like to know that the shop that does them builds them so that they have the longevity one would expect in the diesel world. I know diesel truck motors are rebuilt - are the MB diesels any trickier?
Whatever the outcome, I do hope you consider taking the old block and dropping it solidly on the toes of whoever mis- represented it to you. I'm about halfway down Florida - if I found a decent-running 240 with a shot body would that be of interest? If so, I'll keep my eyes open.
One more bizarre thought - I have no idea how this beast is mounted in your boat, but do you have a little extra fore/aft room in the engine compartment? I know you see this coming, but I'm thinking 300 - if so, that might widen your options a little. And besides, with a 300 turbo-diesel, your sailboat could double as a ski-boat ;-)
Conrad
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:57:39 +0000, Conrad wrote:

Sailboat with a rooster-tail? :-)
See: http://www.mercedesengines.net /

Also might be looking into whether or not, and WHO actually rebuilt this.
If it really was rebuilt, any reputable builder would stand behind it.
Marty
PS Although if it came apart that quickly, you might consider selling the "free" replacement someone else :~)