Disable Alarm on 2001 ML320

My brother put his ML320 on a ferry boat... the alarm keeps triggering. Is there a way to disarm it temporarily?

Reply to
Justin

There should be a switch that shows a hook and car bumper... with key on... set the switch on and then turn off the car. This is covered in owner's manual.

Reply to
Tiger

Yes. The manual is a handy tool. Someday my family will start reading them. Until them they're going to ask me. The who has driven that vehicle once. Last year. Is there a light that comes on when I hit that switch with the tow truck symbol?

Reply to
Justin

I can't remember... I did this when I was changing the tire... it worked.

When I first changed the tire with the car locked, it went off on me.

If the car is unlocked, it will not trigger the alarm either.

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, but if its on a boat with a bunch of other cars it would probably be a good idea to keep it locked.

Reply to
Justin

Justin

Different car (C class 2005), but similar problem with boats and ferries.

Push the button, the light comes on, exit car, use the retractable metal key (the emergency key?) to lock the car from the drivers door.

Richard See

where my caravan's for sale.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Ok, where is this "light?" on the ML.

Reply to
Justin

Justin

On a 2005 C class, according to the manual "Deactivating tow-away protection Deactivate tow-away protection when your vehicle:

  • is being transported
  • is being loaded (e.g. into a ferry or car transported) Steps:
1) Turn the key to position 0 or 1 in the ignition lock (it is only possible to deactivate tow-away protection in the ignition is switch off) 2) Press button (indicator lamp lights up briefly) 3) Lock your vehicle using the key Tow-away protection is deactivated automatically when you unlock your vehicle then remains deactivated until you lock your vehicle again."

I've had to summarise slightly as I cannot include the photos, but there's a red light in the tow-away protection switch (with car and hook image), which does flash when I press it.

I've always assumed (step 3 above) that the vehicle needed to be locked with the emergency key.

HTH

Richard See

where my caravan's for sale.

Reply to