Disable Alarm on 2001 ML320

My brother put his ML320 on a ferry boat... the alarm keeps triggering. Is there a way to disarm it temporarily?

There should be a switch that shows a hook and car bumper... with key on... set the switch on and then turn off the car. This is covered in owner's manual.
Tiger wrote:

Yes. The manual is a handy tool. Someday my family will start reading them. Until them they're going to ask me. The who has driven that vehicle once. Last year. Is there a light that comes on when I hit that switch with the tow truck symbol?
I can't remember... I did this when I was changing the tire... it worked.
When I first changed the tire with the car locked, it went off on me.
If the car is unlocked, it will not trigger the alarm either.
Tiger wrote:

Yes, but if its on a boat with a bunch of other cars it would probably be a good idea to keep it locked.

Different car (C class 2005), but similar problem with boats and ferries.
Push the button, the light comes on, exit car, use the retractable metal key (the emergency key?) to lock the car from the drivers door.
Richard See http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk where my caravan's for sale.
--
Linux is for people who want to know why it works. Mac is for people
who don't want to know why it works. DOS is for people who want to
Richard Cole wrote:

Ok, where is this "light?" on the ML.

On a 2005 C class, according to the manual "Deactivating tow-away protection Deactivate tow-away protection when your vehicle: * is being transported * is being loaded (e.g. into a ferry or car transported) Steps: 1) Turn the key to position 0 or 1 in the ignition lock (it is only possible to deactivate tow-away protection in the ignition is switch off) 2) Press button (indicator lamp lights up briefly) 3) Lock your vehicle using the key Tow-away protection is deactivated automatically when you unlock your vehicle then remains deactivated until you lock your vehicle again."
I've had to summarise slightly as I cannot include the photos, but there's a red light in the tow-away protection switch (with car and hook image), which does flash when I press it.
I've always assumed (step 3 above) that the vehicle needed to be locked with the emergency key.
HTH
Richard See http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk where my caravan's for sale.
--
...and so, as the chill wind of time blows up the kilt of destiny, and
the short-sighted octopus of fate tries to mount the bagpipes of