Disconnected Manual Throttle

Does anyone have a theory as to why some dumba#@ would disconnect the manual idle throttle on a '79 300D? All of the mechanism is still there, fortunately, dash throttle turnscrew, cable, etc., so it
appears that I could restore this, and want to, but thought it might be prudent to investigate why this might've been done first. Also, would there be any adjustments required upon re-connecting the cable to the housing on the throttle mechanism? The articulating throttle mechanism is quite complicated.
9 times out of 10, the plastic end of the cable broke.
You replace it with the split replacement end for cruise control or the metal end, depending on the style.
Metal end: 123 300 00 86
http://www.importeccatalog.com /

OK, great. Thanks very much. I will do it.