Do MB make good A/C, especially on CLK?

Hello MB owners,

Here's a simple question from someone who is eyeing an MB car as his next four-wheeler: Does Mercedes make air conditioning that works really nicely in 100'F weather? I ask because my previous car, a 1987 Honda Prelude was inadequate beyond a warm spring morning. Ditto with Honda's top-of-the-line NSX. My current car, a '97 BMW 328ic is adequate (with the blower on full, all air channeled through mid vents and pointing at me, and climate control set to minimum temp and "recycle"). My wife's previous 1990-something Pontiac Sunbird had A/C that was so frosty, you could transport Walt Disney in the rear seat on a summer day.

How does Mercedes A/C compare? Thanks in advance for your first-hand replies.

-Steve Makohin | Reply to snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com | (hotmail acct is spam catcher)

Reply to
Steve Makohin

sometimes I feel like I'm driving around a very large meat locker.

Reply to
fish

That's music to my ears. Which model do you drive. And I hope it's not a Mercedes refrigerator truck ;-)

-Steve Makohin | Reply to snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com | (hotmail acct is spam catcher)

Reply to
Steve Makohin

My S Class A/C is the best of any car I've ever owned. Simply terrific.

Reply to
REInvestments

Hehehehe, an E300.

Reply to
fish

One of the weak points of the MB line traditionaly is the poor air conditioning. Here in the south they are practicaly unusable in the summer due to the poor air cooling. You have to turn it up high, hit the blue button, turn the temp to coolest, and then point all the vents at the one person who will be cooled. If you really want air, go buy an amerikan kar. Und Hanz und Franz down ta Heavy Carl's shop say it is OK.

mcbrue hotthotthottly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

I usually agree with "McBrue" but this time I don't. My 99 S 420 kept my car refrigerated today, in 100 degree weather in California. I find it to be super.

Reply to
REInvestments

Why should I buy the American car with problematic AC system? My former Chevrolet Celebrity went through several compressors, few evaporators, countless cans of R12 Freon. For this money, I ought have bought another vehicle...

Oh, yeah, you can probably fix the American car anywhere in the USA. That's why I had to drag the big toolbox in the boot for impromptus road-side repairs. It got so ridiculous that I wised up and sold the car.

This laughable Chevrolet is going to be my last General Motors North American vehicle.

My brother had it with the General Motors-made AC compressor in his wife's 1993 Toyota Corolla that failed all the time until he demanded the Japanese-made equivalent fitted under the warranty. Remember, Toyota Corolla was made at NUMMI in California along with Chevrolet Prizm.

You quoted "traditionaly" (sic), meaning you're stuck in the past and not seeing the progress since then? I've been surprised at how much technological progress made between 1992 and 1997 S600. The 1997 S600 made the 1992 so Seventies or Sixties.

My father has two Mercedes-Benz (1977 450SEL and 1994 E280) with exemplary AC system that worked well. We just topped them off with R12 Freon once in a long whilst.

Oliver

My brother MCBRUE wrote:

Reply to
Ennui Society

Owned a 2000 E 320. The air conditioning (AC) was pretty good but not the best I had seen. Currently own 2003 E 320. AC is excellent; superior to AC in 2000 model year car I owned. Also own 2003 Lexus ES

300. Would say that the Lexus AC and the Mercedes AC are comparable; if I had to choose which is better, I would still say the Lexus although the difference is minimal. Also owned a 1991 300E; that AC was pretty pathetic although the rest of that car was really nice since it did not have all the new computer stuff that current Mercedes vehicles have. I live in South Florida.

I have had some problems with the 2003. Software problems causing problems with the radio and Tele-aid; annoying (to me) groaning sound that the SBC braking system makes when first opening the drivers door in the morning (even after the fix Mercedes has issued). If the model you are looking at has SBC brakes, test them well; they do not feel like a regular hydraulic braking system to me which may or may not be an issue for you.

Have had absolutely no issues with the Lexus. Some people are very unhappy with the transmission of the Lexus ES and many posts on Toyota/Lexus oil sludge issues in their V6 engines. William

Reply to
wcolado

FROSTY COLD in my 82 300SD the fan changes speed when it should. have it set to 22C.

in SC in the summer its HOT & THICK here. hell you can't get a plane off the ground its so humid .

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

FROSTY COLD in my 82 300SD the fan changes speed when it should. have it set to 22C.

in SC in the summer its HOT & THICK here. hell you can't get a plane off the ground its so humid .

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

Merc in the old days were known for lame AC's. Not any more. The latest version of the AC are not only cold but I rarely have to touch the controls. I use Auto most of the time. I live in a Louisiana swamp, humidity 100 percent, temp averages 95+ in the summer.

I agree with problem areas mentioned previously. Computer software glitches and fly by wired brakes stink. I understand the concept of allowing the computer intervene when necessary but they haven't gotten it just right yet. You'll get use to them but that should not be the case. They should do what the engineers want and modulate exactly like normal hydraulic brakes. Maybe they are trying to get too fancy to be beat BMW and Lexus to the punch. I believe the CLK has standard hydraulic brakes however.

Rob

Reply to
Vetluver

Thank-you to all who provided feed-back about air-conditioning in current Mercedes cars. It appears they are quite capable. Thanks again.