Does an employer get to control employees what cars to drive if they receive car allowance?

Can an employer provide a certain amount of "car allowance" to employees, and then force those employees to drive vehicles that are higher than a certain class (in another word, not allow them to drive
crappy cars) and force them to renew the vehicles in a certain frequency (so they can maintain the "nice look" of the cars)? I do not think that companies are allowed to force these things to their employees just because they provide "car allowance", but I could not find any reference material that refers this issue. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!
A "car allowance" is just that, a car allowance - a cash payment or additional income directed towards the cost of owning/leasing a car.
If an employer wants to go beyond the concept of an allowance, which is, after all, a no strings attached "you take care of it" payment then that employer ought to lease whatever car(s) that employer feels is appropriate. One can't be "hands off" by paying an allowance but then set conditions or standards.
However, also think of it from the employer's viewpoint - we pay a car allowance so an employee can drive a decent and reliable (and insured) car and then someone pockets the cash and drives (i.e. represents US) a junker that's embarrassing, breaks down etc. etc. That wasn't the idea.
Such compensation arrangements require a certain level of good faith and fair dealing - from both sides. Your post implies that's missing.
permission.
On Feb 28, 4:40 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

They sure can set standards. Usually companies give employees an allowance because the vehicle is going to be used in the course of business. An example would be an employee in outside sales with the vehicle being used for sales calls which may require others from the company being transported, taking customers to lunch, etc. It's prefectly reasonable for the company to have standards that say the car has to be 4 door, less than 4 years old, maintained in proper condition, etc. Another example would be a field service employee, with the vehicle being required to be an SUV or similar so that it can trasport eqpt.
Most larger companies now offer fleet lease vehicles, because it's more advantageous to them for tax purposes. But any that do give a monthly allowance most certainly can and do set standards for the vehicles. It doesn't imply any lack of good faith. In fact, it's a very good idea to avoid problems. If a company is paying for it and expects you to be driving a 4 door car for sales calls, it's better to know the standards up front and in writing, rather than to find out after you buy a corvette.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well, I worked as an IT/IS manager for 3 rehab centers on the East coast for about 11 years. From my second year I was given what they called a "car allowance" which consisted of a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a gas card, they paid registration/tax/insurance/fuel/maint. I did it for 3 years getting a new one every year. When I opted out of the car allowance instead I received $23K more in my pay per year! Guess what I am saying is that it is really the SOP for each company whether you get a certain amount to buy what you want, or they dictate what you will drive. Being based out of NH the Jeep was a good enough snow vehicle, but not my first choice :)
If you are just griping to vent, okay. I have been in the very uncomfortable position of not getting pay raises because I saved my money, "had too nice of a car" (translation= newer than my boss's), had a larger home than my boss's, didn't have wife and children to support, had rental properties, so on and so forth. I left those clowns after I established myself and had earned my credentials in my industry. If you are looking for answer(s), the previous replies were really good. If I may add to those replies to further the discussion:
1. Is the agreement in writing anywhere? If it is, please read it. The responsibilities most likely will be spelled out for both parties. "If you don't care to put it in writing, then you really don't care."
2. Have you talked with your immediate boss about this? Meaning that both people act as adults, no arguing, just ask for facts from each other. If you work for a car manufacturer or other company where specific brand loyalty is an issue, then you need to find that out. If there is another issue, then find out the specifics. Demonstrate your leadership and negotiation skills - if you allow people to walk all over you without saying anything, they will.
3. Is the money received being spent as it should be? Have receipts. A clean (means interior as well as exterior - you don't want the inside of the car looking like you need to rent a leaf blower to clean it out), well maintained older vehicle should not present a problem.
4. If it is an issue of affordability, then be up front about it. Do your homework about how much a newer car (that fits your employer's standards) would set you back and the ensuing insurance, upkeep, et cetera, would not be offset by the vehicle allowance. Ask your employer if there is a discount rate for company employees at any dealerships.
5. All things being the same (except rules for vehicle allowance) - find another employer.
Hope this helps.
On Feb 28, 2:17 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

iNTERESTING YOU KNOW YOUR LUCKY BUT I UNDERSTAND A HUMAN HAS RIGHTS UNLESS YOU SIGHNED A CONTRACT. THEN YOUR LEIAGATION HAS NO GROUNDS