Does anybody like roundabouts?

Page 1 of 2
In my area roundabouts are rare but when I venture to areas that have them I find them very difficult - especially when they are used for fairly fast traffic.
Does anybody actually like them or are they just used because they have always been used?
############################
http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100localnews/tm_objectid 527830&method=full&siteidP003&headline=man--30--injured-as-van-overturns-name_page.html
Man, 30, injured as van overturns
Aug 8 2006
A 30-YEAR-OLD Coventry man was taken to hospital after the vehicle he was travelling in overturned on a Warwickshire road.
The accident, which involved a white Mercedes Sprinter van, happened near a roundabout in Oversley Green, Alcester, on Friday afternoon.
The injured man was a passenger in the van, which was travelling from Evesham toward Alcester, when the driver decided to change exit lane on the roundabout and lost control of the vehicle.
The passenger was taken to the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch and later transferred to Selly Oak in Birmingham for surgery.
Police are appealing for information and would like to hear from anyone who saw the accident.
.
Living in the UK I love them. In some cases they are used to sort out rights of way at an intersection as we don't have a general "priority from the right (or left)" rule.
Great also for dealing with indecision. Go round and round until you decide where you want to get off.
DAS
"greek_philosophizer" <greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

    You may just want to reconsider your possible trip to Canada. We are in the process of implementing them big time here in SW Ontario... great advancement in traffic management, saves both in brakes and fuel since no one has to come to a complete stop.... mind you my wife decided to go clock- wise :-) I'm glad I wasn't in the car
cheers, guenter
And...?...
;-) DAS
"Guenter Scholz" < snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:ebdb6q$ndf$ snipped-for-privacy@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...
As I understand it much honking and slapping of the forhead and fist in the folded elbow by the other drivers facing her head on .... :-)
cheers, guenter

Of course over here in the colonies we don't have very many. And here in SC - well - there are a couple on Hilton Head Island. But boy have they been screwed up!!!!!! The city fathers of Hilton Head have poured more cement separators into them than exist as curbs on all the rest of the island. They regulate which lane you can go into depending on which exit you want to take. And these are only for 4 way intesections!!!! So if you want a good laugh, come on down to Hilton Head Island. And do bring some green stuff to throw around. And do leave your radar detector up and running because they do speed trap on the island. But it is getting SO crowded that I am about to give up and not go there any more.
mcbrue roundaboutrememberingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
mcbrue, what happened to your accent??
cp

So... she wanted to see what it would be like to drive in Paris or Rome, is that it?
Arc de Triomphe, whooooooooo! There you really have to know what you're doing, especially in a nice shiny new benz =)
cp

Good opportunity to bring in my OT Q & A:
Q: Why do the French car manufacturers continue to build big cars. (Background note: They are much better at small models.)
A: French government ministers can't afford to be seen getting and out of German Mercedes-Benzes.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:cRSCg.632$Ch.465@clgrps13...
> Arc de Triomphe, whooooooooo! There you really have to know what you're
ha! =)

Funny drivers you've got...Wouldn't happen over here...
DAS
"Guenter Scholz" < snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:ebe3n3$rj$ snipped-for-privacy@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...
Have anyone tried the huge Arc d' Triomphe roundabout in Paris and survived unscathed and to tell a tale or two? I sat on a bench and observed the traffic for half an hour. Sheer madness! The vehicles entering the roundabout have a right-of-the-way, meaning all of traffic on the roundabout must stop or yield to the incoming traffic. Did I mention how huge the roundabout is? That must be the ultimate extreme challenge!
greek_philosophizer wrote:

http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100localnews/tm_objectid 527830&method=full&siteidP003&headline=man--30--injured-as-van-overturns-name_page.html
OM wrote:

Ive driven there a couple of times. It's not as insane as it looks like. Actually, it's letting the traffic through quite smoothly imho :)
-- Rien
It's most of the funny NAs who don't understand roundabouts...:-)
Also, lots of poeple unaware of the general "yield to the right" rule when nothing else is signposted. In Britain we don't have such a rule since every intersection etc is marked, somehow. With roundabouts we have the general rule that traffic on roundabout has priority (local derogation of EU rule, done by signposting...)
DAS
Strictly it is actually "give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights"
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.htm#160
DAS
Your analysis matches my experience.
I am North American, I have no idea what the rules are for roundabouts and in England I am already excessively preccupied with trying to drive on the wrong side of the road then I run into a roundabout whose rules I do not know and then I am speeding around in circles trying to figure out which sign which just whizzed by is correct for the right exit which just whizzed by and if I miss it then I just keep going around until I pick it out but if I pick the wrong one then I am off in the wrong direction for who knows how long all the while driving on the wrong side of the road and trying to not get in an accident.
Next time I will have a driver.
.
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Are we being polemical here? Or do you need the lecture about the Romans, swords and Napoleon again?
;-) DAS
"greek_philosophizer" <greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
No polemics, this was my actual experience.
Rights and wrong can be relative as well as absolute.
Some things are always right or always wrong.
Some things are right or wrong depending on the viewpoint.
I would love to hear about the Romans, swords and Napoleon, although I think that those who made their names through conquest receive excessive adulation.
.
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

I tried it four times, saw two bikes get hit, never seen anything so busy, ALL the (unmarked) lanes were full and traffic moving fast
cp