Driver distraction / evaluation standards (ADAM)

Page 2 of 2

Sometimes it's a scroogy cost issue. Those push-and-hold buttons are cheaper than a volume knob.
Matt O.
Helar Laasik ( snipped-for-privacy@mail.ee) wrote:

In defense of i-drive 2.0 the radio volume is on a turning knob, Helar. It did take a while to figure out since I was paging through the menus...
Wolfgang
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:57:02 +0000 (UTC) snipped-for-privacy@99.usenet.us.com wrote:

At least one point in favor of security :-) It disturbs me badly to busy myself with looking for the pushbutton at first and holding it during some time after it while it takes no time to get the volume adjusted in no time with a knob. Once upon a time there was a computer game named Test Drive 2 (for Amiga IIRC, later on for IBM PC too). All the action took place on the California seaside roads. And no driving wheels this time, only keyboard. It was very interesting that my colleagues who didn't have *any* driving practice got better results than me who had some years' driving experience. It was like driving a bulldozer by two sticks on the highway :-) Pull the left one and the tractor turn left... pull the right one and it turns right.... The very problem is that a steering wheel can be turned vith varying angular velocity, user interfaces have the pace set by someone else.
Helar

Once I get stuck behind drivers on cruise control mode or in a traffic jam, everything becomes a distraction!
For me at least a GPS system that actively changes your programmed route and otherwise warns you of approaching traffic hotspots would be the best distraction-reducing device.
I then won't have to drive at nigh to enjoy a good drive.
Sheikh
Recommendation #1) Kill COMAND and iDrive.
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:35:36 -0000, "Dori Schmetterling"

Yup. In fact, even companies that make things like cell phones and car radios do extensive research like this. And they spend lots of money doing it right here at VA Tech:
http://www.ctr.vt.edu
I have not heard of an international standard for driver distraction. However, this stuff is being researched so much that the patterns are probably becoming well known, so assigning values to them can't be far away.
Matt O.