Driveshaft Alignment

I'll be picking up the driveshaft for the 230CE 4-speed to 5-speed conversion today. Since I had to fabricate the transmission mount cross member I'll probably have to shim to get the proper driveshaft alignment.
The trouble is I don't know where to start on this. Any ideas?
Thanks, Scott

The universal joints at each end of the driveshaft should cope with a few mm of misalignment - is that what you meant?
There is only one universal joint. It is near the center where the two pieces that make up the driveshaft are connected with a spine. The two ends that connect to the transmission and differential with a rubber flex disk.

alignment.
mm
The engine should guide your tranny the proper position... then you eyeball it from the tail end of the tranny to the rear end...
Now, your driveshaft should be stock from rear end to the center support and from the center to the tranny is shortened, so there should be no issue on alignment.
Look at the relation of the tranny end to the rear end... then eyeball it to the center driveshaft support and that should be it.

Hmmm, thats 'cos the designer built in the alignment of the diff to the gearbox, which is now rooted because of the change in gearbox and mountings. You might need to add uni joints at each end of the drive shaft to achieve alignment. Have a look at what some 4x4s have fitted when the owners do extreme suspension lifts or use different axles.