Driveshaft Vibration Dampener Repost

I wasn't very clear on my original post so I am asking again. Thanks for your input.

Some Mercedes have a rubber and metal disk that mounts on the front of the driveshaft. It is called a vibration dampener. This is not the flex disks that connects the driveshaft to the transmission and differential. Both my

230CE 4-speed and the donor 190E 5-speed have a dampener. I have looked at many MB in wrecking yards and some have the dampener and some do not. I need to have a driveshaft shortened for the 5-speed to fit into the 230CE. TSB ref# 41/15 dated Feb. 1991 for the 190E states that model 201.028 (2.3 engine)has a dampener and model 201.029 (2.6 engine)does not have it but does have a modified flex disk. It states that both have manual transmissions.

The shop I talked to about doing the work,

, inPortland, OR, specializes in MB, BMW and Lexis drive shafts seems to knowwhat they are talking about. They were recommended in a MB forum. They saidthat it does not need the dampener and the one that I get from them will nothave one. I agree with what Tiger said that if it doesn't need it MB wouldnot have put it there. Since the work will cost close to $500 with new u-joint, support bearing, centering bushings and flex disks, I want to be sure that it will work right with no vibration.

Do you know if it will be OK with out the vibration dampener?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Hi Scott:

We have many driveshafts through here some have built in vibration dampners and some do not, even same make,model and year, as long as your unit is properly balanced by manufacturer, should be no problem. The fact you are using a professional rebuilder will get rid of most of your headaches.

Don Sparks (Bowtie Benz)

Reply to
Don Sparks

I don't know the specific technical answer to your question, M-B engineers might.

But, I suspect the reason for such drive shaft dampers is to smooth the pulses of the four cylinder motor vs. the smoother six cylinder motor. Think about letting out the clutch to get the car moving from a dead stop, the four's pulses may be felt slightly as the car begins to move whereas a six cylinder motor's more frequent fires would not be so felt.

This isn't a drive shaft balance issue, it won't shake at any speed, regardless of motor, if the shop balances the shaft. Balance is not the reason for a damper, it's job is to absorb pulses.

I hope this helps you.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

That sounds reasonable. As memory serves, from about 10 cars that I have seen in the wrecking yards, four cylinder gas engines and diesels have the driveshaft dampeners and six and eight gas engines do not. Only thing is that I would think that the pulse dampening effect would be insignificant compared to the mass of the flywheel.

"-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Hi Scott:

I have Fords listed 94 - 98, 4.9 litre to 7.3 litre with attached dampner, the interchange shows with or without dampner, so much for the 4 cyl theory. Interchange is what you can use in place of the listed part. So after searching lots of makes and models it would appear that one will replace the other. Some Automatics and some standards have them, some don't. We go by the interchange which says OK.

Don Sparks

Reply to
Don Sparks

I would think that the pulse dampening effect would be insignificant compared to the mass of the flywheel.

Well, yes, on a 1:1 drive but when the ratio of engine to drive line increases as it does in 1st and 2nd gears you may sense the four cylinder motor's pulses. Subtle, but may be noticeable - if one is looking for it.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach