Driving Euro diesels from Audi, BMW, Chrysler, and Mini

Page 2 of 2
jdoe wrote:

Shhh!! They are a secret at present. Visit the next flying saucer you see and you'll know what I am talking about ;-)

We are obsessed by security. The exaggerated number of stop signs. The heavy bumpers etc. etc. We have to agree that life is a temporary state and it is not that important. After all is only important for the ones that survive.
Please don't kill me, I am looking after a handicapped son and he needs me
This is a guess, but I think diesel has 20% more energy per unit volume that gasoline, so 20% more carbon. A 60 mpg diesel puts the same amount of carbon in the air as a 50 mpg gasoline car.
I think about this because I have a gas car that gets 33 mpg, and my 300 TDT, with its newly remanufactured engine, gets 33 mpg also. It's a lot more comfortable and restful to ride in the Benz all day than it is to ride in the Corolla. Moneywise they cost roughly the same, but the Benz has the larger carbon footprint.
You're comparing apples and oranges. A gas version of your MB would be doing well to get 24 mpg while a hypothetical diesel Corolla may well exceed 50 mpg.