Drop an 8-cylinder engine into a 6-cyl 300 SE

I have a 1990 300 SE with a 6-cylinder gasoline engine, and the car has a hard time getting out of its own way. You can floor the thing and wait till doomsday for it to get to 60.
I know it needs a tune-up, but I'm curious: Can I put an 8-cylinder engine in that thing, which would be the same engine as ... what, the 560, I believe, which is pretty much the same car other than the engine.

that thing, which would be the same engine as what, the 560<<
You can put a Chrysler Hemi on a Schwinn if you have enough time and money... and little enough common sense.
Thanks, I guess, but I was think more along the lines of "will the motor mounts line up," that kind of thing.

The only way to do it is to have a COMPLETE 420 or 560 car. You will need engine, trans, harness, computers, exhaust, springs, speedometer, rear, etc. Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc. 425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201 http://www.ditmire.com 609-641-3392

Same motor mounts. A bunch of the electronics is different so you'll need the donor car to rape for parts.
Driveline components may be diferent too - transmision, driveshaft etc.
Front springs are different.
Motor mounts are the least of your worries :-)
--
OEM parts - Benz: http://parts.mbz.org BMW: http://buyeuroparts.com

engine in

money...
It's been done... :-)
http://www.bosshosscycle.com/second.html http://www.thunderboltentp.com / http://www.v8bikes.com /

Sure. Get a Northern car that's rusted out and sold cheap but with a good engine and driveline. Swap stuff over. Done.
The 5 litre euro spec motor is pretty damn nice.
--
OE,OEM MB, BMW, parts: http://buyeuroparts.com
Your car "had" 177 hp new so it should be enough to propel you at a decent rate. I think you should try a other things first and see if tuning gives you enough power. Things like an airfilter, spark plugs, plug wires, etc. If you still want more hp try a low boost supercharger to give you some more. I dont think replacing the engine should be your first try at some more power as it is more work than just a quick swap and will probably cost more in time and money than the cars worth.

till
Along these lines of mods vs engine swap, I think it is as much the transmission profile as it is the engine. Note that your car likely starts in 2nd gear. Try starting from a stop with gear selector in "2" position. On my 300se, this temporarily starts the car off in 1st gear. It makes a big difference and gives you an idea what the motor can do.
I also find dropping to 3rd for quicker highway passing works well.
I just got a 300se - it is big, heavy, sedate, and definately not as quick as my 300e. I just put new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on, and that indeed helped a bit (looked like original parts were still on!).
Scott D

engine
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:48:59 -0400, Tim Murray wrote:

I have a 1984 280SE (Euro spec). When I bought it, I was giving serious thought to engine swaps - then I found out that the engine was knackered. My local MB guru sourced a good second hand 280 engine and performance was in a different league - if still only pleasantly adequate. Hills that I had to change down on I can now accelerate up in top. It even kicks down more happily.
I would suggest that with this size of car, minor difficiencies could make a big difference. Have you driven a 300SE that you know to be in good condition? If not, you should try to before major surgery.
Bob Canberra Australia