Drop an 8-cylinder engine into a 6-cyl 300 SE

I have a 1990 300 SE with a 6-cylinder gasoline engine, and the car has a hard time getting out of its own way. You can floor the thing and wait till doomsday for it to get to 60.

I know it needs a tune-up, but I'm curious: Can I put an 8-cylinder engine in that thing, which would be the same engine as ... what, the 560, I believe, which is pretty much the same car other than the engine.

Reply to
Tim Murray

that thing, which would be the same engine as what, the 560

Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Thanks, I guess, but I was think more along the lines of "will the motor mounts line up," that kind of thing.

Reply to
Tim

The only way to do it is to have a COMPLETE 420 or 560 car. You will need engine, trans, harness, computers, exhaust, springs, speedometer, rear, etc. Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Sure. Get a Northern car that's rusted out and sold cheap but with a good engine and driveline. Swap stuff over. Done.

The 5 litre euro spec motor is pretty damn nice.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Same motor mounts. A bunch of the electronics is different so you'll need the donor car to rape for parts.

Driveline components may be diferent too - transmision, driveshaft etc.

Front springs are different.

Motor mounts are the least of your worries :-)

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Your car "had" 177 hp new so it should be enough to propel you at a decent rate. I think you should try a other things first and see if tuning gives you enough power. Things like an airfilter, spark plugs, plug wires, etc. If you still want more hp try a low boost supercharger to give you some more. I dont think replacing the engine should be your first try at some more power as it is more work than just a quick swap and will probably cost more in time and money than the cars worth.

-Adam

Reply to
mc

Along these lines of mods vs engine swap, I think it is as much the transmission profile as it is the engine. Note that your car likely starts in 2nd gear. Try starting from a stop with gear selector in "2" position. On my 300se, this temporarily starts the car off in 1st gear. It makes a big difference and gives you an idea what the motor can do.

I also find dropping to 3rd for quicker highway passing works well.

I just got a 300se - it is big, heavy, sedate, and definately not as quick as my 300e. I just put new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on, and that indeed helped a bit (looked like original parts were still on!).

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

I have a 1984 280SE (Euro spec). When I bought it, I was giving serious thought to engine swaps - then I found out that the engine was knackered. My local MB guru sourced a good second hand 280 engine and performance was in a different league - if still only pleasantly adequate. Hills that I had to change down on I can now accelerate up in top. It even kicks down more happily.

I would suggest that with this size of car, minor difficiencies could make a big difference. Have you driven a 300SE that you know to be in good condition? If not, you should try to before major surgery.

Bob Canberra Australia

Reply to
Bob

It's been done... :-)