Drove the V.W. pheaton today

Hello,

Shorter length. W12 can fit in same space as V8 motor. Audi A8, Bentley Continental GT, and VW Phaeton have W12 motor ahead of of front axle.

Same for W8 fitting in same space as V6 motor in Passat. We might not see W8 again in next generation of Passat due to its lacklustre sales.

Oliver

House of Ch> What's the advantages (if any) of a W-12 engine over a V-12 engine ?

Reply to
Ennui Society

No, Phaeton uses the corporate 4,2-litre V8 motor as in Touareg and certain Audi models whilst Passat uses the exclusive 4-litre W8 motor.

Oliver

Reply to
Ennui Society

Had the chance to drive vw's uber auto today. Very impressive it was heavy, powerful, nimble fit and finish was perfect. The feeling I got was that this thing is more like an "S" class than the current mb model.

The one I had access to was the w12 with every option. It was a manufactures car(no vin) so maybe the really had this one tweaked.

If you get a chance drive one see if you get the same feeling.

Reply to
BS

...they should start putting plaques on the trunk reading: "Phaeton"

:O)

"BS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

manufactures

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

no seriously, they gave me one as a loaner once, instead of a passat :o) drove it for some hundred miles cross country to a business thing very nice...loved it...but they forgot to give me a driver definately NOT a VW, ...volks can't afford, I'd say

"BS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

I think that car shares the same body/frame alumninum unibody as the Audi A8. Very nice car. Did it have quattro (err...4motion)? Audi build quality has been steadily improving the past 7 years. Impressive cars. Did you have a chance to check out the W8 engine? I wonder if Audi uses the same W8 engine? or if they only use the 4.2 V8 in the A8.

Reply to
Jason M.

the w8 is in the passat. the big car I drove was the w12. Yes I believe the four motion is standard on all Phaetons. To me the phaeton looks better, it stands out makes more of a statement than the A-8. The A-8 looks just like the older model too much the same. We did shock a vette driver on the interstate. The acceleration from 85 to

130 is very impressive!
Reply to
BS

snipped-for-privacy@uccs.edu (Jason M.) hat in Betrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com dies gedichtet:

No, no it does not. It is made out of steel and therefore it is significantly heavier than an A8.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

The Phaeton is offered with either the W8 or the W12.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

That may apply to the US - in other countries like Germany there is also the Phaeton V6 and the V10 TDI 4Motion, the latter with 313 PS and a max torque of 750 Nm at 2000 revs.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

No doubt. I was merely stating that it was incorrect to say that the W8 is exclusive to the Passat.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

What's the advantages (if any) of a W-12 engine over a V-12 engine ? Same question for W-8 over V-8 ?

BS wrote:

Reply to
House of Chin

I never said it was only in the passat

Reply to
BS

Same "platform" is what they share. Yes the body is totally different.

Reply to
BS

also less width and something different to market to the public.

Reply to
BS

"BS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

A V10 TDI 4Motion !!! That sounds absolutely awesome. Reliable, huge torque, and AWD. I think a Phaeton V10 TDI 4motion would be complemented in the garage by a Mercedes G400 CDI (4 litre common rail direct injection diesel) G-Wagen. Yoiks! I wish more diesel cars were offered in the U.S. Power, reliability, efficiency.... but a little stinky. Ahh, fickle, uneducated Americans...raised on cheap gas. hehe

Reply to
Jason M.

Don't know about the Passat but that Phaeton that I had an opportunity to drive on ice track last winter had W12 under the hood

BR

Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik