DVD Navigation on ML 430

I just bought a used 2001 ML 430 and I have noticed that the DVD Nav system does not properly locate my position. My current location is off by about

1/4 mile to the north east. Does the GPS need to be calibrated ? I was able to get a 2002 DVD when I purchased the vehicle.

Thanks in advance ..... Russ.

Reply to
Big Red

Was it a factory fitted Sat/Nav ?

Reply to
Miro

yes its factory - all 430s come with it standard - I was able to get an updated DVD from my dealer.

Reply to
Big Red

I thought that 2001 models still had CD based NAV.

Reply to
Alex

No its definately DVD based. My issue is with the calibration or accurate tracking by the GPS system.

Reply to
Big Red

How many discs do you have? One for ALL of the USA? Or 11 for USA and Canada? What is the zone number on your disc? What is the date on your disc?

2000 to 2002 were CD-Rom navs. 2003 and up are DVD navs. No way could a 'factory installed' DVD nav unit come standard in a 2001.
Reply to
Karl

Actually, a 2001 could not have come with a DVD NAV either as a factory or dealer option. The DVD NAV was not introduced until sometime late in 2002 and was available in the 2003 model. However, because it is backward compatible with any model year MCS, it could have (and must have) been added later in the vehicle's life. It is possible that the original owner bought the DVD NAV unit and added it himself, but the D2B system on the ML generally requires dealer "coding" of any new peripherals. Of course it is also possible that the owner slipped a mechanics a few $$ to do this, but otherwise, there should be a record of this service visit.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

I wonder if the unit is set for the correct gyroscopy angle. I know that some non-Benz sat/nav units need to be distance calibrated.

Reply to
Miro