E 220 CDI 2002 mod additional electric heater

Does anyone know anything about Electric heater instead of webasto diesel driven heater. Can not find picture. The handbook says nothing except switch with red light
beside ashtray.
RD

element in the heater core. But you mention the switch next to the cigarette lighter, then I guess you actually mean a W210 or an S210 car.
Later models of W210 do have an electrical heater booster but this one is a device at the engine bay, connected to heater water pipes. Don't know good references but it is part number 240 in this parts diagram: http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F !0006%5F66G&Ma1%2E961&GAr2%2E614722%2E699&GMq6%2E640716%2E647716%2E649716%2E651&CT=F&catfG&SIDP&SGR'0&SGN
Note that this car would also have a water cooled alternator, meaning the alternator also warms up the cooling water initially.
Thank You.
It is a W210. And the picture is correct. I have red someplace that this autostarts (no red light in switch) at about below +5 degrees C. outside temp and watertemp below 40 degrees or something. But it does not get hot. Fuse is OK. I am able to read wiring diagrams but I do not have any.
RD

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F !0006%5F66G&Ma1%2E961&GAr2%2E614722%2E699&GMq6%2E640716%2E647716%2E649716%2E651&CT=F&catfG&SIDP&SGR'0&SGN

I've seen higher figures for the engine temperature but this could have been for the diesel based booster.
Which fuse did you check actually? I believe it is only protected by some huge pre-fuse, the W211 electric heater is either 1600 or 1700 W!
You mean the heater booster unit does not appear to get hot? Ideally it should not get too much warmer than the coolant but it should get warm even if it was not operating, when the engine and coolant gest warm/hot.
If you have a clamp ammeter, you could measure the current on the 16 mm2 wire. I don't think there is any access to the switched wire, you cannot measure it then with a multimeter in voltage mode.
I would suggest checking the thermostat too if the car does not warm up well even after a longer trip. The CDI would be slow to warm up even with the electric booster but it should reach normal temp if the thermostat is working ok.
Thank You for helpful ideas.
RD
wrote