E-420 vs. E430 - what are the Pros & Cons

Hey Gang,
I purchased a 1997 E-420 last Nov. In the research before and after the purchase, I found a lot less about the E-420 than I did about the E-430.
How many years was the E420 available vs. the E430? Are there any known problems with the E420 that anyone wants to share with me?
The car runs great and I feel like it has a lot of life still in it.
Thanks in advance...............
Hez of the Pacific NW
The 400E - E420 was made '92-'95 model year in the W124 chassis. That's the old-old E-class.
The W210 chassis E-class was introduced for the '96 model year. That's the one with the roundy-round headlights. There was no V8 model for '96, only the E320 with its inline six cylinder engine.
The '97 model year saw the advent of the E420 in the W210 chassis. This car had the M119 V8. That's the quad cam, 32 valve, 275HP engine. Coupled to the new 722.6 five speed automatic transmission it makes for a lively ride, to say the least.
1998 saw the replacement of the E420 with the E430. Same basic car, but the M119 engine was replaced by the new generation M113 V8 engine. It's a bit less flashy - only two camshafts and 24 valves. But power is the same, fuel economy is better, and emissions much, much lower.
Either the E420 or E430 is a good choice. A regular driver couldn't tell the difference between the two. No real problem areas with either engine to recommend one over the other. The M119 may need it's oil tubes replaced, but no real harm comes from this failure. The M113 has the dreaded failing harmonic balancer, but this is a simple and not expensive repair if performed before it completly lets go. Other than that the M113 has longer service intervals, less frequent spark plug changes, etc. I would expect the M113 to be a bit less expensive to maintain over time.
Erik

Is this the one at front end of the crankshaft?
Does M112 have same problem?
Reg: Harri
The E420 was only available in the W210 body style for one year. The engine has four cams and 32 valves which appears more advanced then the later E430 that had the same power but less cams and valves :-).
The engine is tried and tested in earlier S class and E class models so you can find out more about the engine that way.
I own an E420 the only issues that I have had with it is the cats going out and making the car run with no power and rust... Be very careful with rust especially around the spring mount on the driver's side.
Regards
Al

yes it is the pulley at the end of the crank shaft. GET IT REPLACED if is the ill fated one when it lets go its $$$$$$$$$$$$$
the case, minus a few cans!
I just had mine replaced at 78,000 miles. It went without warning. Luckily my wife was not speeding nor was she is busy traffic. My local independent replaced it for $200.00.
He said that it was a common problem with these cars, as the rubber bushings tend to dry rot.
BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400 1999 E320 4-Matic
pool man wrote:

Buckshop LeFunk wrote:

Was it this 1999 E320 4-Matic you had this problem with?
Reg: Harri
Yes. It was the 1999 E320 4-Matic.
=============BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400 1999 E320 4-Matic
Harri Markkula wrote:

Buckshop LeFunk wrote:

Did it give any symptoms before the pulley got loose?
Reg: Harri
None that I can think of. My wife drives it most of the time, and she reported that it was sudden.
BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400 1999 E320 4-Matic
Harri Markkula wrote:

Just sold my 97' 420 with 94k on it. I bought it with 50k about 3 years ago. Undoubtedly the best car I've ever owned. My wife used it as a commuter car. Great highway car, great on gas, power and roominess. Problem free. Just don't start the car move it 5 feet and turn it off without running it a couple of minutes or the engine might flood. Happened twice to me. Otherwise I would buy the same car again in a heartbeat. I miss it already. Glenn

Glenn,
Thanks for your life-experiences about your used 1997 E420. I had 122k miles on mine when I bought and have enjoyed the car alot. I drive about 700 miles (Wash State to California) average 3 times a year and I've really enjoyed the car. I had some deferred maintenance done on the car recently and I'm expecting great performance on my next trip to Calif (leaving tomorrow / 9 May 05). I share your enthusiasm for the car, but am cautiously optimistic. Time will tell. Thanks again for your sharing.
Hez of the Pacific NW