E-class W124 vs C-class W202, fuel consumption and technical data?

Hi,
I am currently driving an old (1989) Audi and am considering to buy another car. I had a look at the local market (South Africa) and it seems that there are quite a few of the early C-class and the old
E-class (W124) available second hand.
Is there a web site somewhere, which has the fuel efficiency of the different versions and some technical data on these?
What are the big differences between the C-class and the older W124? Here, the C-class tends to be a bit more expensive, but not much.
What milage can I typically expect before getting problems on these cars?
Is there anything in particular one has to check carefully, when looking at one of them?
Thanks a lot for your help,
Christoph