E-class W210 - Misting up!

2000 E-class with the automatic cliamte control option - unless I use the demist screen button (which turns he heat up to HI and fan to full blast), the windscreen and side side windows mist up. I had to keep
juggling demisting the screen / opening windows / trying the heater to keep things clear - not very relaxing at night!
Having looked at the owner's handbook, it appears that I was pressing the right buttons.. any thoughts on what the problem might be (quite happy for it to be user-error!)?
--

jeremy

Does the AC work? The AC is used to dehumidify....

It certainly appears to be working. It was dark, on the motorway and late and I only picked up the car that afternoon so hadn't even had time to read the handbook.
--

jeremy

You can adjust the airflow to the windshield by clicking the blower directional control button a couple of times so that one of the arrows (on the climate control LCD) is pointing up. So if it is humid, this will demist the windshield (assuming that the AC is working).
Now if you are seeing a lot of mist slowly developing from the bottom of the windshield around the ducts, then the problem *might* be a vacuum leak that is not allowing the vents to close all of the way.

says...

Ta.
--

jeremy

William P.N. Smith wrote:

You don't have EC (Economy) mode turned on, do you? That'll disable the AC, and not do any dehumidification...
I agree... make sure A/C is working and EC is off

Check.
Another run later (all the family on board this time!) so a fair test to see if we stay mist-free!
--

jeremy

Fumbling in the dark, yes for a while the EC light was on. OK so I know what that's for now. :)
--

jeremy

On 2004-12-16 05:38:08 -0800, William P.N. Smith said:

Huh,
So EC stands for economy?
My 1986 190e didn't come with a owners manual, so I have kind of been deciphering the heating/cooling system as I go.
It seems to me like pushing the defrost looking button on the far left, automatically puts the fan on high and the AC on full?
Don't know. If there is an explanation of these controls somewhere I would love a link to it...
marty
that is the way there defrost. i don't like it my self.
the case, minus a few cans!

Yes, disable the Air Conditioner load, and increase the milage by some fraction. I never use it, as it also disables the dehumidification...

Yes, MB considers "defrost" to be "turn the fan on high and crank up the heat" which works really well but isn't something you want to expose yourself to long-term.

I'd poke around the MB WWWebsite, or ask the dealership for a new manual. Aren't dealers supposed to provide owners manuals free of charge???
On 2004-12-19 18:32:17 -0800, William P.N. Smith said:

When you buy a new car!
Modest fee for a replacement manual... it is practically a hardbound book. I think it is like $15.
in the summer when its HOT OUT the mist will be on the outside as you're cooling the glass and it will sweat. turn on wiper for windshield.
mine blows COLD in the summer and it chills th glass.
the case, minus a few cans!