e-class W210 purchase advise sought.

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a LHD e-class diesel sourced in Germany and imported into North Africa, Morocco.

I don't know a great deal about this model but in Morocco there are a fair few of these vehicles and they are mostly e290 turbo diesels.

I always believed that the e320cdi was the best of the bunch (just what I read) but I've yet to see one of those over here.

Also, over here it really isn't necessary to have a fast car, economy really is all that's needed plus reliability/fairly cheap repairs etc.

So all of these points are drawing me towards the e290 even more than say a 320cdi.

Any tips on this type of vehicle ?? Is there a model better than this you'd recommend ?? Or which year was the best year for this vehicle ??

Did they come with sat/nav ?? Did they come with a phone kit using buttons off the steering wheel ??

Any inherent problems to look out for ??

What sort of price would I be expected to pay for one (with leather, climate, phone) ??

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Reply to
a_newsreader

If acceleration is not such a big deal, how about an E220 CDI. Very popular.

Yes, all Mercs in recent years could/can have a phone cradle fitted that allows control of phone via the steering wheel. Also satnav was/is an option, but not standard. Try Google...

Are seeking new or used? Probably used as you mention the E 290. Regarding pricing, you did not give a budget or year. Try Google...

Used does not allow full choice of options, of course but, if used, you might like to try the weekend edition of the Stuttgart newspaper Stuttgarter Zeitung, where Merc workers are likely to sell their cars.

There were 137 adverts for E 220 when I looked just now. Only one for E 290 TD, at EUR 11 500.

Sueddeutsche Zeitung (Munich) might also be useful. Though published in Munich, it is a more important newspaper.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks Dori,

Yes, acceleration is not the major requirement here, though I'm no big fan of 4 cylinder cars (big cars with 4 cylinders that is) so I'd rather keep away from a 220cdi.

I'm now leaning towards a 2000/01 e270cdi. Budget no more than =8015,000.

But a big thanks for all the advice especially the link, I'll take a look at that now.

Best regards.

Reply to
a_newsreader

In general Merc make fine large 4-cyl engines (whereas BMW like to start small with 6-cyl engines, swings and roundabouts) but can't comment on diesel. The 220 diesel engine is very popular, also in C Class.

I am sure the 270 will be fine, too. Probably not so much dearer if 5 years old.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Here are the only sites in Germany that count, each advertise around 1 million cars, my dad bought 5 cars through this, highly recommended (the cars AND the sites)

cp

Reply to
cp

I would have thought that Jahreswagen (year-old cars), esp those sold by the employees, are advertised are locally, too.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

employees, are advertised are locally, too.

For sure, but two sites with 1 million cars each? Now THAT's selection =)

cp

Reply to
cp