e200 transmission probs.

i've had an old E200 Auto ,1997 ( w210 i think) for about 6 months and all has been great until now. the car hasn't been touched for about a week, and when i drove it today, it won't change up from first , just
trundles along revving freely.I've noticed its also a bit clunky going from neutral to reverse or into D. I have been told to check the transmission fluid level. my manual doesn't help here so can someone tell me where the dipstick/level indicator is? is there anything else i can do before i have to really panic? the car appears sound, 90k on the clock and a good service history . any advice would be much appreciated.

I'll guess that it's at the rear of the engine, pretty central, close to the bulkhead.
David
Look for RED cap on a tube back by the firewall.
If the transmission is electronic then it's in its "limp home" mode - electronic default of 2nd gear only, no shifting.