E230 Estate Problem!! Please Help!!

Dear All,
Fault is with the split rear seats of a Mercedes E230 Estate (Elegance 1996) 210 Model. The larger side (on the passenger side) is stuck in
its upright position as the catch seems to have frozen up. Note that its only on one side, and the smaller side operates in a normal fashion.
I have spoken to my local Mercedes mechanic, who advised me to remove the small panels on the back of the seat (where the thick plastic "tonno cover" bar fixes to) in order to release the catch? This hasn't worked and I wondered if anyone had experienced the same problem?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance
Chris