E230 stalls

My 1996 model E230 sometimes stalls when it stops at junctions and at traffice lights. The feeling I get is as if it is starving of fuel. It does not happen all the time but often enough to make driving frustrating and dangerous. My mechanic has looked at it and has done some computerised settings on it but the problem persists. The car is regularly serviced and maintained. Has someone out there faced a similar problem and solved it ?

Reply to
Francis

wildweasel

The engine's fuel supply depends on an electric fuel pump which is controlled by a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump relay, now 7 years old may be getting tired and shutting off the fuel pump when the engine alternator's voltage drops to its minimum at engine idle. Suggest the fuel pump relay be replaced.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Have the EGR valve checked for intermittent sticking.. There was a EGR replacement Campaign # 95-0131 for 104s . They will check the date code on yours to see if applicable. Also have the 3 coil to plug connector/resistors under each coil changed .. they were common fault and when they fail the ECU shuts down the injectors/fuel signal for cat protection.. Beru are better than Bosch.

Reply to
AJDalton7

Thank you. I changed the relay and the car is now good as new (almost).

Reply to
Francis