E240

Hello everyone. I have not posted before and am looking for advice.
I have the opportunity to purchase a second hand E240. it is a 1999 'S' reg and has done 90,000 miles. It has a full mercedes service history.
it is the elegance version but has cd player and aircon, it is also automatic. My questions are
1) is this car too high ileage. i average about 20,000 per year and what price should I look to pay for this car. its a bit like an auction with 3 of us interested in the car and the highest sealed bid wins.
thank you steve
I'd compare with KBB! And if I really wanted it, I'd only paid a couple hundred dollars over the blue book. Remember, the car has 90K even if it sounded good, there are other "stuffs" that I would consider. For example: the Transmmision, the Suspention, Tires, Breaks, Rotors etc... They are not cheap!
Again, it's only my opinion!!!

I suggest you check out www.parkers.co.uk
They will do a valuation for you for free, but I recommend paying the 1.90 fee to get a full valuation, which adjusts for mileage (very important), and other minor things like colour etc.

"Too high" is relative, but in my opinion, 90,000 miles for a factory-tech maintained E-Class is not alot. I have bought quite a few e-Class cars (W124 and W210s) all with +/- 100K miles. They all all have been fantastic cars to own and drive. Very safe, reliable and I've gone on to log over 200K miles on some of them - with only expected minor repairs and maintenance costs. If you have not owned an MB before, expect to pay a bit more for service/maintenance. If you keep to a proper maintenance schedule, you should expect another trouble free 100K miles (or more).
As for price, I try to negotiate/bid Kelly Blue Book "Private Party" value (or less).
Scott D

dies gedichtet:

Just recently german car magazine auto motor sport made a comparison and named the 2.7 litre V6 engine of the contemporary E240 the "worst of all engines available for this car". The engine is said to guzzle gas a lot and run quite rough and powerless for such a car. IIRC the car has 170 HP which would not impress me very much for an engine designed less than 7 years ago. If you look for economic, yet powerful ride, you should look for a E230, or you take a wonderful E320, which is really nice.
Frank

Frank Kemper wrote:
Here in Germany the 2.7-litre is a very popular engine for the E-Class.
Juergen

You all mean 2.6 right? Very popular in Norway as well, the 320 is unavailable to 99% of the population due to high taxes on big engines.
-- Thomas.
thomas kaarud wrote:

Ok, seems I was a bit unprecise: I meant the 270CDI engine (2685 ccm) and not the 240 gasoline which indeed has 2.6-litres (2597 ccm) - the latter is not very popular over here.
Juergen