E240 engine longeviety

How good are those first mercedes V6 engineS? Engine is beatifully smooth and sounds good. With regular oil changes will it last for a very long time, like most other mercedes? My father has just bought a 99 E240, its the 2.4L not the 2.6 in the newer cars. He wants to keep this car for a long time it has got 66K miles (9K km) on it now. Anything we should look out for?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Joachim Østberg

Mass air flow sensors are notorious. Otherwise, they are very good motors. CHANGE THE OIL often....do NOT follow the FSS flexible service system. Change the oil at least every 5,000 miles. USE SYNTHETIC!

Satish

Reply to
Satish Tummala

Reply to
Klaus Sturm

How many miles before the balancer needs changing? Was thinking of changing the oil every 6K since the engine takes 8L of oil it takes longer for it to get full of dirt?

Reply to
Joachim Østberg

Not such a big issue on the 240, its more of a problem on the american cars,

320's.

But just inspect it on idle, if it wobbles its gotta go... if you see cracks, its gotta go.

Hvis du ikke vet hva du skal se etter så send meg en mail....

-- Thomas.

Reply to
thomas kaarud

"gotta"

You have done well in picking up sloppy slang...

So long as you don't think it's good English it's ok... ;-)

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Thanks for correcting my english, let me know if you need any help with your norwegian.

-- Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Kaarud

Your work will be very short. My Norwegian vocab is about two words (other than Norge and names of Norwegian cities...)....

I was just impressed by your using in writing what is only spoken. Lots of the Americans (but not only them) here and on other discussion groups do it. :-))))

I have to add that I looked at a German-language ng recently and found similar things to some extent.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling