E240 Stuck in gear!!!

hi, i have just purchased a 1998 E240 estate, driving back from work it has now decieded to not change up from first gear (understand this is limp home mode) i bought this car as it had the following work done,
overhaul autobox assembly 1581.00, exchange torque convertor 200.00, all this was carried out 3/2/2007 and has now developed this fault 5 days after the warranty has run out, can anybody help me with some info, dont want to just take it to a garage and they end up charging me the earth :(
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/E240-Stuck-gear-ftopict247261.html