e240 vibration

e240 1998 auto.at around 1200 and 2000 rpm i have developed a vibration through the car.it felt like prop uj or bearing vibration but you dont have to be moving.ive checked the engine and box mounts and its running smoothly so i assume its fireing on all (12) plugs.ive code read it and its clear.any ideas?

Reply to
apache

I would clean the AFM meter... use the AFM cleaner.

Reply to
Tiger

There was an issue in these cars about the harmonic balancer deteriorating. I seem to recall that the engine would vibrate some time before it broke up. By then, it was a costly repair.

However, just checking it was simple enough and inexpensive. You say the engine runs smoothly so this does not seem to be the cause, but I would check, just in case.

WÇY

Reply to
WÇY

thanks for the response WCY,what is a harmonic balancer and where is it found-i have not come across this befor

"apache" wrote

Reply to
apache

Sorry for the delay.

For harmonic balancer, see first

And you can get an idea. Hope this has been of help. WÇY

Reply to
WÇY