E280 1995 W124 Uneven idle

My E280 has uneven idle since a few days ago. Sometimes the engine stops. The idle is OK when the engine is cold. When the engine gets warm and it tries to settle down on a low idle the idle goes up and down and black smoke comes from the exhaust pipe. Does anybody know what could be wrong?.

Reply to
Snusk-Pelle

Fuel mixture is too rich...I would suspect your temperature sensor for the fuel injection system dies and registered improper temperature. Otherwise, it would be better to have a mechanic with true MB diagnostic scanner to test your car... not many have them.

Reply to
Tiger

Black smoke in the exhaust is a sign that the engine is being over fueled given the quantity of air being allowed into the engine - normal being about 14.7:1 air to fuel.

This could be from a number of possible causes:

A dirty or stuck fuel injector. Bad O2 sensor. Bad temperature sensor (always indicating a cold engine).

The engine's computer stores fault codes; your shop has an electronic code reader that may find a diagnostic code that pin points the problem.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Your car has owner access code retrieval under the hood LED/SW with Flash code system.. Hold button for 2 secs, release , codes will come back as led flash/blinks in numerical sequence. Look for 16 pin diagnostic socket in front of battery.... Black removable lid Are you in Europe ???

Reply to
AJDalton7

I am in Europe. I dont have the button and the LED.

Reply to
Snusk-Pelle

Yeah, Euro no got ..

Do you have the 16 pin socket?

Reply to
AJDalton7

I have the 16 pin socket. I know i need some code reader to read out the error codes.

How do i know if i have any error codes to read?.

Reply to
Snusk-Pelle

I have a little tool design you can make for about $5 [US] email if you want a jpg of the parts/schematic.. it is in pictoral form for those not familiar w/schematic symbols....

This will get you the stored codes and you can list them.

Also, the common faults in line with your complaints are the 3 plug to coil connectors under each coil.. They are cheap and we have learned to change them whever changing plugs [Have found Beru best bet] The other check you should make is the Over Voltage relay .. it is behind the panel near battery..aluminum rectangular can w/fuse on top If it has the original part# 000 540-52-45, change it to 000 540 67

45..regardless.
Reply to
AJDalton7