E300 antenna shoots out???

Hello again Gurus :-)

My friend who has the 1988 E300 was driving to work this morning when she noticed poor reception from her radio. When she investigated she found the antenna dragging on the ground, having shot out of the car. It was still connected to the cable and the motor that actuates it seems to be working ok. The antenna was lubricated with graphite recently but that could hardly have caused the problem.

I suggested there must be a nut or other restrainer to keep it from blowing out. She thinks not. There must be a restraint somewhere. Anyone know the setup?.

Comments appreciated.

rf

Reply to
RedFox

The very bottom of the mast is a screw that goes into the assembly body (on the rear quarter panel). It is probably lose. If the screw is still on, the internal of the mast is broken. The mast itself is replaceable.

To replace the mast:

  1. Unscrew the base completely (use a 13mm wrench)
  2. Extend the antenna up until it stops. You should be able to lift the antenna easily now. Note which side the teeth face.
  3. Insert the replacement. Keep the teeth at the same direction the old ones face
  4. Once the mast stops going in, operate the switch to lower the antenna. The motor/gear should grab the teeth and start sucking it in.
  5. Before it goes in too far, release the switch. Now tighten the base screw.
  6. The motor senses the load so it will automatically st> Hello again Gurus :-)
Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Dear Wan-ning Tan,

For that excellent reply, I am going to recommend you for the Nobel Prize for Auto Repairing.:-)

Thank you. Thank You.

RF

Reply to
RedFox