E300 Diesel Glow Plug Problem

One of the glow plugs on my '97 E300 Diesel died at 89K miles. Got the plugs - will replace all of them this weekend. Does anyone know the torque specs for tightening the glow plugs and the bolts on the intake manifold? Are there any surprises I should be expecting? Have any members of the group done that and what are the steps and how much time approximately does it take for this job?

Thanks

D.

Reply to
DCM

Treat them like spark plugs. I believe your engine has an aluminum cylinder head so barring actual specifications, 20 ft lbs is the MAXIMUM torque for the GPs, IMHO.

Carbon may bind the old GPs and even prevent the new ones from entering the prechamber. Such carbon is easily cut away with a 1/4 inch high speed metal drill bit that you simply twirl in the cavity with your fingers - it's just that easy.

Install only Beru or Bosch GPs - unless you want to repeat the job.

Be sure the wire leads are tight on the new GPs.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks! Today I got a quote from "Springfield Motors" (they are my neighbors) and they ask $290 just for labor. So it seems I'll be working on Sunday. The GPs are Bosh $21 apiece from speedycarparts.com. Tomorrow I'm getting new intake manifold gasket and that's it.

Thanks for your help!

D.

Reply to
DCM