E320 acceleration problem

1995 E320 wagon 136K runs great except for acceleration problem. It hesitates/surges when accelerating mid to high speeds (60 to 80). The car used to be very smooth through all speeds. This is intermittent but happens when the engine is warm. The engine light doesn't come on. I've been to the independent shop I use a couple of times and they've cleaned the injectors. That seems to fix it for a few hundred miles but they can't pinpoint the problem. Any ideas what would cause this?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Patriquin

I'd suspect, in this order:

  1. Dirty fuel filter, causing fuel starvation (acceleration and hill climbing being the maximum fuel consumers). Only happens during high fuel demand, of course that's only when the engine is warm. Dirty injectors would affect the engine's performance at most times, not so intermittently.

  1. MAS - mass air sensor.

Your shop didn't take this complaint seriously, IMHO.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Dirty Fule Filter... Trash in gas tank... Failing fule pump...

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

Thanks T.G. I'll check those out. Jim